Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cork Grip Restoration

Default Cork Grip Restoration

Picked up a nice TFO 9' #6 at a garage sale this weekend for $5. The blank & reel seat are in good shape with the exception that the 1st & 3rd ferrals have been glued (I can't get either one to budge) making it a 2 piece. The only issue is the cork! I'm guessing the previous owner was fond of imbedding his hooks in the cork as it has sustained a lot of chipping. No big deal as it makes a very "Grippy" grip. However the cork rings have started to separate from each other which is worrisome. All-in-all a good buy for $5.

I'm seeking advise on the best way to restore a cork grip short of replacing the whole grip. Some kind of adhesive that I can coat it with that would still leave me with a tacky grip. In other words something quick and easy!

There is a heat-shrink tubing that is made for fishing rod grips. I know you can get it at Mudhole.com. Some over on Dan Blanton's site have used it and have offered suggestions for how to use it most effectively. Here is a link to one posting that offers some suggestions: http://www.danblanton.com/viewmessage.php?id=197317.

Ted

For about $5 or less a roll of electrician's splicing tape would probably work -- the self-adhesive stuff (it is a kind of rubbery tape that adheres to itself). Ice climbers use it as grip tape on their tools. I have a rod with junky cork too and it worked pretty well. I think Home Depot has the 3M 2242 stuff in the electrical section. If you don't like it you can cut it off pretty easily and it won't leave a sticky residue like cloth tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Picked up a nice TFO 9' #6 at a garage sale this weekend for $5. The blank & reel seat are in good shape with the exception that the 1st & 3rd ferrals have been glued (I can't get either one to budge) making it a 2 piece. The only issue is the cork! I'm guessing the previous owner was fond of imbedding his hooks in the cork as it has sustained a lot of chipping. No big deal as it makes a very "Grippy" grip. However the cork rings have started to separate from each other which is worrisome. All-in-all a good buy for $5.

I'm seeking advise on the best way to restore a cork grip short of replacing the whole grip. Some kind of adhesive that I can coat it with that would still leave me with a tacky grip. In other words something quick and easy!
    TFO has the crappiest cork known to fly fishing man. Much lower quality than anything else. It is at least 25% filler. Ive seen Mogen David with better cork. So, what you describe as chipping is normal for this brand. These rods cost $100 new for crying out loud. Unless the rings are twirling in your hand, do nothing at all.

As for the stuck pieces, I doubt they were glued. Bring it to Kienes for an attempt to separate the sections. Otherwise, you cansend it with $30 bux to TFO in TX, and they will figure it out.

Good find, now fish it!

I had the same problem with my 5 wt switch TFO, but I really abused the heck out of it during the last shad season.... Being lazy and not wanting to send it back to TFO I glued in some thin cardboard type paper in the gaps of the cork. I used wood glue and various sizes of paper. Once the glue dries just sand it down. It worked and the cork lasted through a season of abuse on Pyramid. To fill in the chunks where the cork has chunked out you can grind up a wine cork and mix it with wood glue and fill it in. By the way the TFO Deer Creek is a great rod except for the cork. After fixing the cork I think it is even a better rod. Did buy a z-axis switch for non-abusive waters. Also to separate the ferrules you just need to put ice around them. Let them cool down and they should separate.

Thanks for the great ideas guys! I'm thinking the idea proposed by CYAMA sounds really interesting. Sounds really grippy for arthritic hands and I've already got the wood glue and a cork.

By the way, it's snowing just above Idaho Falls this morning. Not sure what our prospects for fishing are this year. There's still a bunch of snow in the mountains that needs to come down. Maybe July!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tennis Grip Tape.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	12934

Another quick fix that has been used for decades, Tennis Grip Tape.
    It can be found at just about every big box sporting goods store in several colors and textures and it runs about five bucks. I've used it on several new rod grips that were to small diameter for my tastes, but it'll work as a cover up too. It can be started at any point on the grip, easy to apply and remove.

Dave

I know it's not the answer to what you're looking for but TFO's no-fault warranty has fixed every single issue I've had with my rods regardless of the cause. I'm willing to bet that if you sent it in and they couldn't get the sections apart, they would end up just shipping you a brand new rod in return. Then, depending on the model, you're going to get a brand new $150+ rod for 35 bucks... cant beat that.

If you''re having a hard time finding a shipping tube to fit the long half sections in, might just need to "manually" shorten them so they will fit... If you know what I'm saying... I know it sounds a bit insane but I've done it and TFO had a new rod in my hands within a week.

IDAHOAN- this would be best bet for old hands or for extra large hands.

Winn, one of the largest makers of golf club grips makes "Winn Grips Overwrap" specifically for fishing rod handles. Available in several solid colors and several camo designs. It costs around $10 and is sold at Bass Pro among others

They have an entire division that makes fishing rod handles and now this Overwrap...
    http://www.winngripsfishing.com/prod...rips/overwrap/

It is tacky even when wet and provides cushion plus you can wrap the handle as thick as you want to get your desired diameter & profile. BUT I like the idea of sending it back to TFO to fix.. and then you can adjust it for your old hands.

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 05-17-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Oh JayDubP when I closed my golf shop years ago I gave/threw away tons of that wrap. Wish I had some of it now. Good stuff and a good idea. Thanks!