Thread: South Fork Reservoir Nevada

Default South Fork Reservoir Nevada

South Fork Reservoir is probably Nevada’s #1 Public Stillwater fly fishery. The lake is Located outside Elko Nevada and 4 1/2 hours from Reno. Rainbows, Cutthroats, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass and Wipers are all catchable with a fly rod at the lake. The lake is loaded with fish and is very fertile with plenty of food. This is a fish catching trip for sure.

There is great camping at the lake with three great campgrounds. The main campground has heated restrooms and showers. The sites have covered Gazebo’s, grills and campfire rings. Elko Nevada is 25 minutes away with plenty of hotel options as well.

2017 South Fork Reservoir Weekend OutingWe are holding 2 day fishing event and will cover advanced Stillwater techniques, proper rigging, shore line wading as well as float tube, pontoon boat and small pram techniques. There will be lots and lots of free time to practice and catch a wide variety of fish in the lake.

Schedule

Friday afternoon – check-in and set up, dinner at the campground and intro on the weekend’s events.

Saturday & Sunday – Two full days of fishing and learning new techniques on the lake with Chris and Rob including Lunch both days and Dinner Saturday night.

When: May 19th-21st

Where: South Fork Reservoir

Cost: $250 per angler (Repeat outings guests receive a $25 discount)

Contact Rob Anderson for more information

rob@bucketlistflyfishing.com

In the 1970s and 1980s we would drive over to Elko when it was a much smaller town.

We fished the Ruby Marsh, Wild Horse reservoir, Sheep Creek reservoir and a few other small ones like Bull Run and Zunino/Jiggs reservoir.

South Fork reservoir was just being built in the late 1980s.

Looks like a great trip...........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for the support Bill,

This is my favorite outing of the year. What a great response I have been getting. We are down to only two spots available now. Can't wait to have the Ruby Mountains in the background of some killer fish pics again this year!

If anyone is still interested let me know soon.

Rob Anderson
    rob@bucketlistflyfishing.com

Excuse me for asking the obvious. Why would anyone spend $250. to dirt camp at a public reservoir 20 minutes out of Elko? SF is hardly a technical fishery. All hatchery trout that never turn down a wooly bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
    Excuse me for asking the obvious. Why would anyone spend $250. to dirt camp at a public reservoir 20 minutes out of Elko? SF is hardly a technical fishery. All hatchery trout that never turn down a wooly bugger.
    A bunch of us are going to go fishing and have a blast eating food, hanging out, catching fish and making memories like we always do. 100% of the time. Heck I might leave the Wooly Buggers at home and try something else this trip. Just to spice things up a bit.

Sorry Public Water, Hatchery Trout and camping near a town is so disappointing to you. We will try to offer a much more difficult outing for you in the future. I will keep you on the list and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
    Maybe because it is a 2 day clinic where people can learn. Do you put on clinics, and if so what do you charge for a 2 day clinic with food and camping included?
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

If it were not for guides and instructors and good on the water group clinics our sport would not be doing as well as it is.

These clinics are not catering to experts....... we are trying to teach the 'new to stillwater/lake fly fishing' how to be successful so they won't be golfing next summer.

Thanks Rob, for keeping the sport alive.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

SF is one of my favorite fisheries in Nevada. It was planted years ago with Eagle Lake strain rainbows which now dominate the fishery. NDOW still plants the reservoir, but most of those Eagle Lake rainbows now run up the creek and spawn on their own, producing a lot of big fish. I have had a couple of trips here where I don't think we caught a fish under 20". Still can be some tough fishing though if you don't know the water and the local bug cycle. Great spot to learn more about the variables of still water and catch fish. Waking up on the water watching the sun come over the Rubys is pretty awesome too! Have fun out there Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Maybe because it is a 2 day clinic where people can learn. Do you put on clinics, and if so what do you charge for a 2 day clinic with food and camping included?
    Word Scott. Sounds like a helluva fun time to me!

Eric