Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What will be fishable first? Early July predictions?

Paul---thanks, I appreciate the reply. I try to stay in-tune with all reports; most especially the Truckee area.

Frank R. Pisciotta
    www.cyberfly.com
    530-587-7333
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 06-05-2017 at 01:13 PM.

My prognosis on Truckee area fly angling conditions are pretty much spot-on relative to this excerpt of my blog entry "Musing About Spring 2017" (http://flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot...ring-2017.html):

"...the Spring of 2017 in the Truckee area will be the REVERSE of Spring of 2014. Angling and/or water conditions will be a minimum of four (4) weeks later than a "normal" season...possibly even 6-8 weeks later."

...Been plying the local waters and I'm going to confirm that we're beyond the minimum four weeks behind relative to a "normal" season. Now I can verify the 6-8 weeks later seems to be about right. My favorite Brookie creeks are just on the cusp of optimum conditions relative to flows and water temperatures.

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 06-05-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Anyone think early July will be too early for the Upper Sac or McCloud?
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Both the Upper Sac and McCloud are fishing. One of Kienes competitors blogs has guide reports. Usually very informative as they are guide reports. Can't say whoooo....

Quote Originally Posted by cyama View Post
    Both the Upper Sac and McCloud are fishing. One of Kienes competitors blogs has guide reports. Usually very informative as they are guide reports. Can't say whoooo....

Mccloud is amazing. Just got back. I will post a report tomorrow. Might be the most fishable area in the north state in terms of moving water. Upper Sac is still on bigger side. Give it 2 weeks.

The upper sac is usually best before it drops to where most people fish it???? Take off the indicator and fish it like a Jedi.

The upper sac is usually best before it drops to where most people fish it???? Take off the indicator and fish it like a Jedi.
    This is the kind of post makes me wish for a like button.....
    All these rivers fish well in bigger water.
    Some of the nicest fish of the year are to be had....
    Get your Jedi fisher going...
    July?????? Ya, maybe for dinks on a dry...

On second thought...better wait for Aug...
    Might be better then....
    Heck....with these flows, maybe Sept this year...
    Apologies...for needling....we fish year-round because...
    ...it's always better, before its perfect...

Unless they drop the flows below 1600cfs in the next 5 days you will not be blithely wading the T. on the 15th.
    Never know about those pesky Green Drakes though.............

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 06-09-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Well put, this goes for a few fisheries I can think of.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    I believe PG&E is doing some work on the Pit #3 dam/tunnels and that's why the flows have been up on that stretch (500cfs+). Normal is like 350cfs or so. From what I've heard, once they finish the work, the flows will come down to "normal". #4 and #5 are raging and probably won't come down for a while. And knowing how greedy PG&E is, they're gonna milk all the power they can get outta this high water year. They don't give a rats ass about fishermen. Same with the NF Feather.
    Jeff or anyone else, any word on the Pit, especially #3? Since that watershed is more rain-based (vs. snowmelt-based), is it stabilizing now? With a high water year, will it be higher than last year, or with all of the pumping and diverting will it be pretty much the same?
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    Jeff or anyone else, any word on the Pit, especially #3? Since that watershed is more rain-based (vs. snowmelt-based), is it stabilizing now? With a high water year, will it be higher than last year, or with all of the pumping and diverting will it be pretty much the same?
    I check Dreamflows daily. The Pit is coming down to fishable flows, especially #3. It's running at 398cfs. I like it around 320cfs, but it's definitely fishable now. #4 is over 600cfs, which is too high imho. I like it around 420cfs. #5......forget about it. Way too high.

It's gonna be tough getting around on the Pit this summer due to the road closure. So if you wanna camp at the campground on #4 and still fish #3, you'd have to go all the way down to Big Bend, then up to Hwy 299, over to Burney, then down to #3. So I guess most folks would just fish #3 this year and not camp, just stay in Burney or somewhere else.

On the good side, these fish haven't seen many flies since last October. So the fishing should be really good once the flows come down a bit. A few more weeks, it should be all good.

~Jeff