Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone going to bother with opening day of trout season?

Default Anyone going to bother with opening day of trout season?

I have a couple ideas of what I might do (well, what I might try...I have no idea if it will work out)...just wondering who is going to try and find some fishable flows, and who is going to go to Pyramid instead...

I'd love to but it might be a futile effort. Probably a big rod, big fly and a sink tip game this year.

In the past some go to low to mid-elevation lakes and others to spring creeks for better water conditions.

Many will be after Stripers and Large Mouth Bass.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

You bet when I only need to travel a short distance. Not sure where I'll drop the fly but one will probably get wet somewhere.
    The rivers and streams will be high and off color but at least I am fishing!!!!

PV, the opener is a big more symbolic to me (represents spring and warmer weather) because I do my best to fish year round on those waters that permit doing so. Ironically I try "NOT" to fish the opener per say. And for whatever reason it seems like snow/ice and cold are guaranteed that day. Watch it will be blue bird skies this year and the last few during the drought it snowed.

But its a bit of a zoo which is why I try to avoid and kids sports take up a lot of my weekends these days. Don't let me persuade you to stay off the water though. Any opportunity you get I would jump on.

It has been on a few other sites, but the road to Ah di Na is closed. As in impassable. The Nature Conservancy called about our reservations and said the USFS may not get to fixing the road until some time after May 15th. They suggested calling the USFS for updates on the road

I'm usually at Deer Creek on the opener but it'll be way too high this year. I've been keeping an eye on a few streams but they are a ways away. The surf is always an option if you get bored of Pyramid. Nothing like fishing at the beach.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

I'll be at a small stream/river far off the beaten path all to myself
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

I try to never miss an opening day. Sometimes that means fishing the stream by our house for 15 minutes before work, in a snowstorm. Usually that stream is either blown or frozen over, but its kinda a ritual. Not sure why but I still try and abide by the old rules of not fishing streams between Nov 15 and the last Saturday in April, even though most stuff around us is open year round now. Guess it gives something to look forward to!

This year I have a few hours and the stream by our house is BLOWN, so I might fish a local tailwater that is less blown.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    I try to never miss an opening day. Sometimes that means fishing the stream by our house for 15 minutes before work, in a snowstorm. Usually that stream is either blown or frozen over, but its kinda a ritual. Not sure why but I still try and abide by the old rules of not fishing streams between Nov 15 and the last Saturday in April, even though most stuff around us is open year round now. Guess it gives something to look forward to!

This year I have a few hours and the stream by our house is BLOWN, so I might fish a local tailwater that is less blown.

John SV- I absolutely get your perspective here. And for some I know its a big ritual to head to there favorite lake or moving water with family and friends. Those are precious times. I guess I just got the bug and can't shake it now in terms of all year. Good luck to all and exercise a tad more safety not only on the water but getting there. Some of these roads that are off the beaten path have gotten hammered.

Good luck.