Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone going to bother with opening day of trout season?

Go and enjoy...nothing else matters

I think part of the joy of fishing the opener years ago, was the fish haven't been pestered for 6 months.
    That and I had a severe case of fish juju backed up...
    The fish always seemed surprised....and I caught more fish......
    The reason I enjoy fishing year-round over the Truckee fish, is they are on guard and make me raise my game and keep it there......
    No festering fish fever either.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 04-20-2017 at 09:34 AM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

I had a severe case of fish juju backed up...
    Jim[/QUOTE]

This! Cheers Jim!

I doubt that I will. I'm only 9 - 10 miles from some great small streams (Valley District no close), but they are flowing at 10X's the "normal" rate: up in the trees.
    If I tried to go up into the Sierra District (actual opener) I'd be bucking 5-6 feet of snow........
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Ya, I'm definatley heading out. It's an annual ritual for a group of us, so gotta do it!!! Anytime out in the woods, camping and holding a rod, is therapy. Not sure where we're going yet, looking at flows and weather, but we'll be somewhere. Usually do Deer, NF Feather and other areas around there, but probably not this year.

Raffi "Rafdawg_34"

I've scoped out a couple of areas I feel are "promising" from the perspective of manageable flows and good water temps. We will have to see how it goes. Only one day left to wait! Good luck to all and please post a few reports!

The weather forecast looks amazing!

My report-

Beautiful day, found some manageable flows with very clear water. The problem - water temps were 38 degrees. In retrospect we should've been at a lower elevation. But hard to complain about being out and getting a line wet.

PV- Based on your description you must have found a nice feeder creek because clear and manageable are 2 words not in my vocab these days! Glad you got out! I'm sure when those temps get closer to 50 your will be in a good place.

I got out and fished the Big T on Fishmas Eve and it went from big and greenish/clear a week ago to very, very big and tan. Even in town flows are in the 2500+ range with almost 2000 coming out of Tahoe. Martis, Trout, Donner, Prosser, Greys, Bronco, etc etc are pumping tons of water into the Truckee. Below its 5k+ and folks that is way out of my league. Tons of snags. IF you get a few drifts in before getting your junk hung up you are doing something right. I would say a very small % of the river is fishable at these levels so walk and find that protected softer water and you will find fish and those fish will be big and healthy. You might not land them but you will have fun! I drove out to look at the LT which is pumping 1350 CFS and its amazing to see all the different channels that those levels create. Be careful out there. The banks are deceptive and deep. You fall in and its big trouble.

Well, being a glutton for punishment I tried the West Branch of the Feather near Inskip. Water was high, in the base of the trees, but clear and COLD. Not one rise. Still, it was nice to wet a line.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Quote Originally Posted by wineslob View Post
    Well, being a glutton for punishment I tried the West Branch of the Feather near Inskip. Water was high, in the base of the trees, but clear and COLD. Not one rise. Still, it was nice to wet a line.
    Stoked to hear you fished my home waters. In the 70's my Dad C&R two browns just below the bridge at 5 and 7 pounds high sticking a #8 Kennon Ugly. That's where I learned to fly fish. Stoked you enjoyed the day, thanks for sharing. - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.