Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backpacking advice???

SPM is not a huge grow area. It is a reserve and gets quite a bit of attention from authorities and students/scientists in the field. Kings Canyon and Emigrant Wilderness would be just as bad if not worse.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I knew I came to the right place. The dates are pretty firm. Emigrant looks good, but bugs sounds pretty bad. We can probably deal with that if we know ahead of time (not my preference, but I may just have to deal this year). Maybe we do a trip on the coast instead?

I'll have to look more into the southern sierra's. Living in Auburn, I don't tend to go that far south. It's fun branching out though!

Dan
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Dan, I honestly wouldn't let the bugs get the best of you... ha ha. Right gear and clothes and you will be fine. I love Auburn btw. Very good location to get into the western/north sierra's. Let us know how it goes when you make the trip. I always enjoy the planning process.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrink View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I knew I came to the right place. The dates are pretty firm. Emigrant looks good, but bugs sounds pretty bad. We can probably deal with that if we know ahead of time (not my preference, but I may just have to deal this year). Maybe we do a trip on the coast instead?

I'll have to look more into the southern sierra's. Living in Auburn, I don't tend to go that far south. It's fun branching out though!

Dan
    I agree with cdevine on the bugs. They can be a pain in the ass while camping and hiking. But if you bring in a float tube and get out on the water, there are no mosquitoes. They stick to land for the most part. Another good thing about Emigrant Lake is the wind. When it blows, usually in the afternoon, it keeps the bugs away. So wherever you do go, keep that in mind. Don't camp by marshy areas, and maybe try and find someplace a little exposed to the wind.

Last year we went into Maggie Lakes (Golden Trout Wilderness). We stopped at Summit Lake on the way in. The mosquito's were about the worst I've ever encountered. I was covered (clothes) with spray on and would still have 10 to 20 on each hand while I was fishing. Moved up to Maggie Lakes the next day and there were no mosquito's. Either way, I'm going .
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

South sierras will be the best bet.....maybe Golden trout wilderness....
    I spent a good part of my life in that part of the woods...
    One tip I will share..I carried dive booties with a grippy sole to cross streams and kick back in camp with socks on underneath.
    Barefooting is a good way to cut or break a toe on a crossing when the water is near freezing......
    I recommend a bug hat and gloves this year....
    Find an exposed camp for best results......
    I also recommend a folding water cube to pump water from.....the sediment and glacier flour is known to plug filters.....
    I think another month or so, snow levels will be above 7-8000 ft. down south.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 04-23-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks Jim. This year will be an adventure for sure!
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman