Thread: Frenchman's Lake?

Default Frenchman's Lake?

Anyone have any recent reports on Frenchman's? Or if not, any info on how it usually fishes this time of year?

Thanks all.

~Jeff

Open water, very limited access near the dam only. Typical early spring conditions, chironomids under a bobber, or stripping buggers and wiggle tails. Same conditions at Lake Davis but even lesser access and still 3 to 5 feet of snow on the ground. You'll need snowshoes, XC Skis, or a snowmobile. The Honker Cove boat ramp may not be plowed for weeks.

I've been invited to attend a meeting next week with CDFW about the future management of the lake (or lack of), I will be speaking for the entire fly fishing community. I'll be posting the outcome on my blog - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutstalker55B View Post
    Open water, very limited access near the dam only. Typical early spring conditions, chironomids under a bobber, or stripping buggers and wiggle tails. Same conditions at Lake Davis but even lesser access and still 3 to 5 feet of snow on the ground. You'll need snowshoes, XC Skis, or a snowmobile. The Honker Cove boat ramp may not be plowed for weeks.

I've been invited to attend a meeting next week with CDFW about the future management of the lake (or lack of), I will be speaking for the entire fly fishing community. I'll be posting the outcome on my blog - J.
    Thanks Jonny. So I'm assuming the dam area is not the most productive place on the lake. Forgive me, as I've never fished that lake before. Any coves or more fishy areas within paddling distance from the dam. We'll be in float tubes if we go.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Thanks Jonny. So I'm assuming the dam area is not the most productive place on the lake. Forgive me, as I've never fished that lake before. Any coves or more fishy areas within paddling distance from the dam. We'll be in float tubes if we go.

Thanks.
    I've never fished at the dam, but the bait guys do really well there. I always fish Big Cove, the main boat ramp, Crystal, and Snallygaster when you can access the entire lake. Good luck! - J.

Thanks Jon.....so nice having you here.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The dam can have some good fishing. We tube too and use buggers. It would help if you had a fish finder so u can look for drop offs as it gets deep quick. Work the dam and both shorelines where u can launch and the otherside of lake.

Hi Jon
    do you know if you can currently drive to the dam without driving on snow?
    your reply mentioned snow but it was hard to tell if you meant davis or frenchman.
    thanks
    dave
    "I never saw a fish I didn't want to catch"

Quote Originally Posted by dave earl View Post
    Hi Jon
    do you know if you can currently drive to the dam without driving on snow?
    your reply mentioned snow but it was hard to tell if you meant davis or frenchman.
    thanks
    dave
    You can drive up to Frenchman's and across the dam snow free, and at Davis you can drive up to the lake, across the dam snow free. Keep in mind this information is about a week old. I would call up Wiggin's Trading post for Frenchman's, and Jeanne at the J&J Grizzly store at Davis for a fresh report. I will be up at both lakes on the 24th to scout. - J.

I'm still involved in coaching our high school softball team and won't get out for two more weeks. I do have a number of friends who fish Frenchman regularly with and without me! Two of them fished the boat launch area of Big Cove this past Saturday. They were amazed at how high the reservoir has come up...only yards from the parking lot! They fished for close to 3 hours, one gentleman caught 3 & the other 1. Nice sized fish (15-17") & very healthy! They were going to try to drive around the lake but decided against taking the chance of getting high centered in the snow...they did say they took notice of 3 or 4 higher raised PU's make it around. Also mentioned that there were lots of bait soakers and didn't see them having any luck.