Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pyramid Lake Tuesday/Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Thomas View Post
    By far, many more anglers fish indicators and rack up impressive numbers. Watching an indicator just isn't something I enjoy doing.
    Sounds good. Just got back from Pyramid, wasn't able to try the floater no cator, but got a few fish on the cator, few strippin, and a few on the jig.

Was at Pyramid Saturday evening/Sunday morning.

Saturday evening slow @ Pelican on the rocks. I missed one grab as I was dilly dallying around not watching my bobber. Always seems to happen that way. Only saw a handful of fish caught.

Sunday morning was a little better, in waves. Started at N Nets, nothing from dawn to 7am, and quickly bagged that and went back to Pelican. Stuck 2 from 7:30-8:30, another 2 around 10am and two more at noon before calling it a day and driving back to SMF.

Saw a 10-15# caught by someone else but all my fish were the typical 18-24" variety...and all 6 fish on the same size 10 red chronomid w/ copper bead. Switched my top fly at least 6-8 times and no love at all for anything I tried.

With the main season opening on Saturday this was probably my last trip to the big lake for the season.

"By far, many more anglers fish indicators and rack up impressive numbers. Watching an indicator just isn't something I enjoy doing."
    Fishing indicators is a good way to get started on Pyramid. Many days when the fish are chomping your arm will get sore bringing them in. As Ryanerb found out it is best to try different setups. Some days they will be hitting buggers only. Some days they will only eat a beetle and some days they will only hit a jig. The only thing I have figured out in the past two years is keep switching it up until you figure it out and keep casting until your arm is sore from casting or your feet are going numb from standing on a ladder. There is always that hope you will land a ten to twenty pound trout....

Thanks for this report! We stuck it out at North Nets Sunday morning and and it was slow all the way until 11am when we left.

I was using Red Mahalo Nymphs, sometimes I wonder if I would have got bit better on a Chronomid instead... Just gotta keep switching it up I suppose!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanerb View Post
    Thanks for this report! We stuck it out at North Nets Sunday morning and and it was slow all the way until 11am when we left.

I was using Red Mahalo Nymphs, sometimes I wonder if I would have got bit better on a Chronomid instead... Just gotta keep switching it up I suppose!
    Yes I bet you would have done better on chronamids. And with the crazy amount of cold water pouring in from the Truckee I have found that the afternoon bite has been best lately.