Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Lake Tuesday/Wednesday

Default Pyramid Lake Tuesday/Wednesday

Two friends and myself fished Pyramid this past Tuesday and Wednesday with Doug Ouellette of Pyramid Lake Guide Service. The fishing was pretty difficult for us on Tuesday as well as all of the anglers around us. We managed to land a few stripping flies. Things really picked up on Wednesday. We were very successful fishing midge patterns without indicators. I can't say enough about Doug, excellent guide and a true gentleman.
    BTW, the crowds were not bad when we were there.

Good to hear you guys had fun out there. The lake can be that way some days slow followed by a great one. You really gotta put your time in. And you can avoid crowds depending on the beaches you choose to fish. And of course weekdays are going to be quieter. It's like any other water shed, you gotta put your time in.

And yes Doug is a very nice gentlemen who knows leaps and bounds about the fishery. A very fun guy to talk with.

Terry,
    When you were fishing midges w/o indicator were you using a floating line or sink-tip? Planning a trip up to Pyramid in early May.
    Thanks for any "clues".
    Dick

Floater with 10 ft Leader, straight 12 lb fluro. Fish two flies @3ft apart.

Thanks Terry. I would have been too light with the leader. Maybe a good story of "the big one that broke me off"

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Thomas View Post
    Floater with 10 ft Leader, straight 12 lb fluro. Fish two flies @3ft apart.
    Terry, great info! I may be going up soon.

Did you let you flies sit far out or were you constantly retrieving and re-casting them?

When did the fish seem to like to hit it?

-Ryan

Pyramid fish are not particularly leader shy. There is rarely a need to drop below 2x, especially if using fluorocarbon

Ryan,
    Start with an immediate retrieve with short strips. Experiment, each beach is different. You may find that you have to count down and then retrieve. Most important, always fish your flies all the way back to your leader. Check out Doug Ouellette's site, Pyramid Lake Guide Service, for leader info and flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Thomas View Post
    Ryan,
    Start with an immediate retrieve with short strips. Experiment, each beach is different. You may find that you have to count down and then retrieve. Most important, always fish your flies all the way back to your leader. Check out Doug Ouellette's site, Pyramid Lake Guide Service, for leader info and flies.
    Great info on that site!

Is it generally accepted that the floater no cator will catch more fish than fishing with an indicator? Or simply just personal preference?
    Last edited by ryanerb; 04-20-2017 at 01:18 PM.

By far, many more anglers fish indicators and rack up impressive numbers. Watching an indicator just isn't something I enjoy doing.