Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best boxes for dry flies ?

Default Best boxes for dry flies ?

What do you use?
    I have plastic Myran boxes in various sizes but tend to overfill them and flies can be blown out by wind.
    I used standard boxes for nymphs and streamers.
    Interested in your thoughts,
    Thanks
    Steve

Steve,
    You might want to consider the Tacky Dry Fly box. I use the regular
    Tacky box for my surf flies. Not sure what the differences are.
    Best,
    Larry S

Hey Larry thanks , I noticed those somewhere will take a look
    Cheers
    Steve

I use variations these fly boxes. There seems to many knock offs of the original SA.
    I have some water proof but this little box will hold a lot of flies.

http://www.americanflyfishing.com/Fl...Trout+Box.html

good luck,

jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

I'm also a fan of the Tacky boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsquires View Post
    I'm also a fan of the Tacky boxes.
    I'm a big fan of the Tacky boxes... Love them. Just to echo what everybody else is saying.
    Both dries and nymphs. But I like a few different things for my big uglies. (streamers) Cliffs Bugger Barn I think is the name...

Default Best Dry Fly Box???

Seems to me that the type of hackling on a particular dry pattern might make a difference in choice of boxes. If using a heavily hackled fly (e.g. Wulff or Sofa Pillow) you might choose a different style box than if using an Elk Hair Caddis style dry.

I tend to use plastic, waterproof boxes that have small compartments for dries. If I don't overload the compartments, the flies don't blow out when the box is open. I only carry about a half dozen dry patterns at one time. Actually, To me, carrying a number of different patterns/style dries is not as important as having the appropriate size of the flies carried.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks everyone
    I use one box on my neck with flies for the day but often end up getting desperate and going to box 3 or 4!
    Thanks for the tip about not overfilling plastic box that's pat or my problem
    Going check out tacky ones.
    I use slim magnetic boxes for tiny nymphs really like them
    Cheers
    Steve

Tacky.....the product of fresh thinking right down to a stainless hinge pin.

Good morning Steve. I start the season with rows of flies neatly ordered in their SA or Tacky box slits but by mid season dump everything into the old Myrans. Can't be bothered to take all the used flies floating around the bottom of the pack and patiently place them back in their slit. Midges get their own slit box and usually kept pretty orderly because they clump so bad in the loose Myran cubicles. Streamers live in a big Tacky after they are completely dried. I don't like magnetic boxes because the hooks become magnetized and filthy with the iron oxide that is on about every stream and lake bed.