Thread: Psycho Ant

Default Psycho Ant

Does anybody know how to tie these? Only thing I can find on the internet is two pics and the listing on the Orvis site if you want to order some

Not exactly, JR, but looks like a pretty easy tie. Would use a 3XL #6 or 8 hook, and would probably try to find something standard wire, although a 1XH would probably work too. I imagine a TMC200R or the like would work in a pinch (picture looks almost 4XL, but I do not generally like to use anything larger than 3XL). Using a heavyish black thread, tie in a piece of black foam cut gape-width (at least 2 time the length of the hook) at the half way point, and bind down to the bend, make sure you have at least 1/2 times the hook length hanging over the bend and the eye. Dub rear section with black buggy dubbing (Buggy Nymph, Antron, etc.), bend foam back over rear segment, and tie down at half-way point. Repeat with the forward segment, binding the foam down, then dubbing, then bending the overbody back to the center point. Tie in wing of pearl Krystal flash, and over-wing of polypropylene yarn, before adding tan and red (or orange) medium MFC Speckled Centipede Legs. Dub the middle "thorax" section with Peacock Ice Dub, before adding 5-6 turns of black dry fly hackle (hackle looks a bit undersized in the Orvis photo). Whip finish where you tied off the hackle, and that should do it. Appears to be a variant of a lot of other ant patterns out there, so a bit of searching for similar patterns should add inspiration if needed.

If you can find a copy of the pattern, you should be able to match the materials more accurately. Best of luck.
    -JD

This fly is probably the best ant I have used Gilligans JWACA. http://www.solitudefly.com/product.a...oductcode=T012
    Size 10-12. You would think ants are easy to tie, but I just by them. Two segments probably starting with foam and then dubbed black. Krystal flash post and black parachute wing. Add in dark dun to brown trailing wings before building the parachute post. This fly floats low but the krystal flash sparkles so you can see it. Deadly...