Thread: Land subsidence in SJ basin

Default Land subsidence in SJ basin

Interesting how widespread this is.

Land subsidence from overpumping groundwater in the San Joaquin Valley has been called the largest human alteration of the Earth’s surface. When the last comprehensive surveys were made in 1970, subsidence in excess of one foot had occurred over more than 5,200 square miles (13,000 sq km) of irrigable land – half the entire valley. Southwest of Mendota, a town that prides itself on being the cantaloupe center of the world, maximum subsidence was estimated at 28 feet (8.5m). By this time, however, massive infusions of surface water were being delivered to the valley, and subsidence was slowing or had been “arrested.”

Then came a series of droughts and cutbacks in imported water that resulted in renewed overpumping and subsidence....

https://www.newsdeeply.com/water/art...ater-overdraft

Default Farm Land Subsidence....

Very informative article. Thanks for posting it. It's been reported that subsidence in a few areas exceeds 100'. Not hard to believe. Considering that the southern San Joaquin Valley was once Tulare Lake or that Miller & Lux shipped cattle to San Francisco from that area aboard ferries. Hopefully, the potential cost of both infrastructure repair and the tunnels probably makes it even more difficult to justify the Waterfix (tunnels) project for growers.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I always heard that many years ago before they controlled the rivers with levees and dams there was massive flooding in the winter in the Sacramento Valley.

This probably replenished the ground water......?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Story in today's LA Times about Trump's plan to allow draining of the Mojave Desert aquifer.
    Do these folks have no shame and no sense of commitment to future generations?
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...404-story.html

Best to all,
    Larry S

Default Cadiz Inc....

Interesting article on Cadiz. I've been following Cadiz since 2012, thinking it might be a good investment. Even posted about it on this BB back then. At any rate, there's some very good info about the Cadiz, Water Project on their website. A very basic overview is that Cadiz would capture water flowing downhill into an aquifer(s) under dry lake beds where it is currently lost to salt pollution and evaporation. Water is then delivered and/or stored in a water storage bank (similar to the Kern Water Bank). An EIR/other required documents were completed and approved in 2012. The proposal is to manage the volume that is extracted to the same amount that is now lost to the environment. There is always the potential for unanticipated consequences in any project but, IMO, this one has a good chance of succeeding without major negative outcomes.

First, the article says that Feinstein has objected to this project as it possibly infringes on her legacy of creating the Mojave Desert Monument. It seems to me there's more to it than just that. Consider that if the project is implemented there will be more water available to So Cal customers thus lowering the value of water purchased from the CVP/SVP, specifically Kern Water Bank. The owners of that facility (Resnicks, Roll International, etc.) are big time financial supporters of Feinstein. She and the Resnicks are personal friends.

Second, If the Cadiz project is approved and successful, that would make justification for the WaterFix Project (tunnels) more problematic. Especially when you add/consider the cost to repair damage to water delivery infrastructure caused by subsidence due to groundwater pumping in the San Joaquin Valley. BTW, Cadiz was not considered as an alternative to the tunnels in the WaterFix EIR. Another Feinstein influence???

Something to think about....
    Last edited by Darian; 04-05-2017 at 11:50 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,
    I will defer to you for these types of issues, knowing that you keep tabs on them much closer than I.
    I'm concerned that drawing down on desert aquifers can be a slippery slope. I've watched the
    Coachella Valley aquifer going through radical fluctuations since the mid-1900's. I believe they attempt to
    replenish it with Colorado River water, which seems strange. I first moved to San Diego in early 1961
    and the Salton Sea was a flourishing resort and fishing mecca. Now, the best case scenario
    is to save 1/2 of it. I'm a big believer in SoCal desalinization. Solar power to the east and ocean
    to the west. Forget the Bullet Train and give me water for my Bulleit bourbon.
    Best,
    Larry S

Default Unintended Consequences....

Larry,.... I agree that if not managed correctly this project could result in damaging the aquifer. I'm basing my judgment on the prior approval of the EIR and related documentation. Makes me wonder why Feinstein would be so adamant in opposing the project when she's raised no objections to Nestles bottling water taken from SoCal forests on expired permits??? Unfortunately, if no other sources for SoCal water are developed, the Delta will continue to be the object of the Gov's tunnels project.

A few days ago, I heard a discussion on CPR/NPR about a new filter technology called graphene. If proven during testing, it could replace current filtering membranes enbaling cheaper/faster DeSal. Check it out:

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientis...drinking-water

Still doesn't address what to do with the filtered salts but this is really interesting....

Author unknown