Thread: Missouri River info

Default Missouri River info

Looking for information on the Missouri, when?, with what outfitter?, where to stay?, would I be better off staying in Great Falls or Helena, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Gonsalves View Post
    looking for information on the Missouri, when, with what outfitter, where to stay, would I be better off staying in great falls or Helena, etc.
    I would start with Headhunters Fly Shop. They are very knowledgeable and eager to help. I think it's a little slow this time of year, so they should be helpful if you call. Also, they have a very active blog, so you could reconstruct the last year or two (reading back) to determine when the fishing matches what you're looking for. If memory serves, Headhunters also has lodging. Most of the lodging is rental houses/cabins in Craig. Here is a map of the area from Headhunters. There are some less nice lodging options further downstream from Craig (in the canyon). Camping is available all over the place along the river.

Craig, MT has a really cool trout town/bum vibe (think hundreds of driftboats, every human there is fishing), but is has very few services (2 or 3 fly shops, a grimy dive bar, a regular bar w/ a restaurant, and a fly shop with a convenience store (sandwiches, beverages, ice). No gas station, not groceries, not other stuff. But it's awesome.

I am not a Missouri expert, but the best fishing I've had there was in June a few years back. All-day action on nymphs and dries. There was a nice Trico hatch and spinner fall each morning. We would fish nymphs while the trico columns were going, then at 10 am or so, we'd start looking for heads. It was unbelievable how brazen the rainbows were eating trico clusters. You would look down and see a beak come out of the water here the trico spinners were clumping up, then you'd see another, then you'd realize that you weren't looking at one fish rising in diamond chop, you were looking at 60 rainbows fining around like sharks eating midge clusters. It was awesome. Even I could catch them.

Good luck,
    B

I have fished the Mo quite a bit over the last 10 years. May to mid-July is good, then late Sept - early November is good ( but a little cool) as well. I would not stay way out in Helena or Great Falls, too far away. There are a TON of decent houses available on VRBO, of all types of sizes in the area. Just below Holter dam, you could stay in the town of Wolf Creek, not much there to do, it's even smaller than Craig. Craig is the fly fishing town. Uncle Joe's Country Bar deserves a stop for a beer! Down farther, you could stay in the town of Cascade. That is where lower drifts on the river will take out.

If you want to hang out in the town where the fly fishing buzz is happening, that would be in Craig. Also, check out The Trout Shop. They were the original fly shop in Craig. Good luck.

Just fished there in late February. Surprisingly good fishing for middle of winter. Like someone said earlier, Craig is a trout town and there's not much else there...not that you need much else. You'll have to get provisions in Helena.

Headhunters was the only shop open at that time, and they were extremely helpful. Rented a cabin in town from them. It was very well equipped and the price was great given it was off, off, off season. There is also either a state or county campground right at the boat launch in Craig if you want to camp. Headhunters also rent skiffs for $150 per day including the shuttle, which seems like a really good deal.

Also, like Yubaman said, Uncle Joe's Bar definitely deserves a stop for a beer.

Craig is the place on the Mo.. if you want to eat there is not much in the way of selection... but Zak's is as good as many places that cater to the $$$ palate and way, way less expensive.. Really good. I will be there in three weeks for three days.. will be eating there each night. even though my rental house has a kitchen... As far as outfitters HEADHUNTERS is the stop. I fish with the owner, but all the guides are full time year round employed.. no part timers in this shop... ck them out.. quite an operation.. with a great understanding for customer service with a smile. You will have a BLAST!!!!

You can get all provisions in Cascade, which is about 15 minutes east of Craig. They have a couple of grocery stores there. Also a couple of more watering holes whose names escape me. Isaac's, in Craig, is a decent restaurant and bar. Uncle Joe's Country Bar is definitely bare bones, and as the name says, a country bar. It is a fun place for sure. We were back over memorial Day week last year, and watched all of the OKC- Warrior playoff games there with a bunch of other fly fishermen from the Bay Area who were Warrior fans.

There was another decent restaurant and bar down in Prewett Creek, called the Missouri River Inn, but it has been closed for a couple of years, and I doubt it has opened again. You will love the fishing there.

With the exception of 2 or 3 years I have fished the Missouri for a week every year for the past 20 or so. I don't recommend it...too crowded now.

But seriously, go whenever you can. I have fished it as early as early April, as late as late October, and every month in between. Always had good to very good to phenomenal fishing. Nearly always find some fish rising, how any and to what hatch just depends on time of year. Streamers are a good bet much of the time, and a zebra midge under an indicator will probably catch fish almost any day of the year. The August heat was not the most enjoyable, but still lots of good fishing. If I had to choose, I'd say second half of September is my favorite. Depending on the flows, there is a lot of road and wade accessible water, and it's also easy to float yourself.

Have to concur on Headhunters, but the Trout Shop is a great shop in its own right. I've mostly stayed in Helena recently since a buddy of mine from Sacramento moved there a few years back. There are other good day trip options from Helena, but not from Great Falls.