Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swinging the Lower Sac

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    [I][I]
    Coming from steelhead background, it has been interesting noting the different types of water that i have hooked up in for resident trout. Can't wait to get back out there!
    I'm sure none of would be offended if you wanted to elaborate on that...[/QUOTE]

Nothing ground breaking, just something I noticed at a spot i fished a few times last summer. A classic nice long swing run that i
    would get a nip here and there.. Below this run, the river split with a large channel and a shallow choppy sidechannel. I would always pick up multiple fish in this shallow choppy sidechannel. Maybe in there eating caddis like Dragking mentioned? I just was a little surprised, but I obviously don't know the tendencies of the river like many do.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a guide for the Lower Sac that specializes in swinging. I have a 3-Man CataRaft and spend most winters chasing steel. I would love to keep swinging. I am looking for access points to put in and take out as well a s tackle specific guidance.

Eckman it sounds like Lance is your guy see his post on the first page.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eckman View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a guide for the Lower Sac that specializes in swinging. I have a 3-Man CataRaft and spend most winters chasing steel. I would love to keep swinging. I am looking for access points to put in and take out as well a s tackle specific guidance.
    Another local boy that likes to swing is Andrew Hoodenpyle, www.hoodyflyfishing.com @hoodyflyfishing on instagram. You can also look him up thru The Fly Shop in Redding. He is a younger gentlemen that spends more time on the water than most and knows the area very very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gray View Post
    I use a floating line with a floating tip. I like using soft hackles, streamer patterns and caddis pupa patterns. As many of you have mentioned small streamers work all year long. I been fishing many classic streamers with great success. Black Nose Dace, Mickey Finns and others tied on size 8 and 10, TMC 5262 hooks. I been having so much fun with this setup that I have been getting some of my guide guest to make a couple of cast with streamers. They are having fun with it also. I have also been playing with skating flies with little success.
    Lance, are you swinging these at 10k cfs? Are you swinging from your boat while anchorded? Wading? Both? Thanks!

Default Lower Sac

Quote Originally Posted by TyV View Post
    Lance, are you swinging these at 10k cfs? Are you swinging from your boat while anchorded? Wading? Both? Thanks!
    I like to swing all year long no matter what the CFS is. No we are wading and swing shallow runs 0-6 feet or so. Almost the same runs that I will dry fly fish. WE do different stuff on the lower sac. We drift with indicators while we move to different places we get out and wade to swing. I also swing soft hackles - I carry many soft hackles. I haven't got many on my website - but I tie the streamers from size 8-10 - some traditional stuff - black nose dace and others some different - but tied traditional. It's pretty cool to fish these flies. Soft hackles are traditional and non-traditional. I tie a soft hackle out of my X-May nymph and I do many Carey Specials in different sizes and colors. I also like a woolly worm pattern - tied with dubbing and peacock herl.

You can do pretty much anything you like.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com