Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swinging the Lower Sac

Default Swinging the Lower Sac

For those who swing flies on the Lower Sac, what is your typical line/ sink tip setup? What type of flies have been most productive for you? I have been playing around the last couple of years with scandi lines and sinking polys with some limited success. Just went with olive or black buggers and a trailing PT soft hackle. I haven't hooked any toads yet but had some fun on my 3 wt spey. What works for you?

Mostly use a floating tip or polyleader with a Commando head but it depends on the type of water being fished. I generally swing 2 flies, usually some sort of softhackle. Also swing muddlers and sculpins. The key is to cover lots of water.

I mostly fish dry line and soft hackles or small streamers / fry patterns (which seem to work anytime). I will throw on a poly leader on occasion (on an 11' 4/5 switch) with a heavy nymph / wet to get a second wet deeper, but I prefer the near-surface grab. I'm sure my numbers would be higher if I fished deeper more often, but so many riffles between Redding and Anderson lend themselves to the surface swing that I can't resist.

I agree with the others--either a floater or intermediate. The switch rod is fun, but a single hander is great too if you have a boat to get yourself out onto gravel bars where you have tons of room to back cast. I seem to catch most of by big fish swinging soft hackles, poopahs, and even dries (e.g., missing link with a softie or poopah behind it). Most of my success has been in the beginning and end of summer (June/August) when the fish move into to the shallow riffles to chow on caddis.

In late August, swinging a size 8 stonefly nymph close to the bank can work well as there is a large short winged stonefly that emerges in Aug/Sept on hot afternoons. This is a big bug but I rarely see the adults on the water.

I use a floating line with a floating tip. I like using soft hackles, streamer patterns and caddis pupa patterns. As many of you have mentioned small streamers work all year long. I been fishing many classic streamers with great success. Black Nose Dace, Mickey Finns and others tied on size 8 and 10, TMC 5262 hooks. I been having so much fun with this setup that I have been getting some of my guide guest to make a couple of cast with streamers. They are having fun with it also. I have also been playing with skating flies with little success.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Cool info, thanks for the replies everyone. I may have to spend a few evenings this summer skating small muddlers or similar flies. I like the idea of getting away from heavier sinking polys and swinging a floating line and more soft hackles/nymphs/skaters. Still trying to figure out lines on my trout spey, no boat so i'm sticking with the 2 hander. I think i would be in heaven if Airflo made a 240 grain Rage!
    Coming from steelhead background, it has been interesting noting the different types of water that i have hooked up in for resident trout. Can't wait to get back out there!

Steve Godshall makes a line called a "scandoid" that is very similar to the rage. I have one he made for my ACR 1255 and it rocks. Tell him what rod you have, what you're looking to do, etc. and he'll make one to match your rod. His prices are very reasonable and he ships them within a day or two. 541-840-2594
    patrick

I just met Steve, his knowledge of lines is un-equaled. One heck of a nice guy too. He will have you dialed in and fishing with a smile in no time at all.

[I][I]
    Coming from steelhead background, it has been interesting noting the different types of water that i have hooked up in for resident trout. Can't wait to get back out there![/QUOTE]

I'm sure none of would be offended if you wanted to elaborate on that...