Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass Valley Creek Reservoir (Trinity County)

Default Grass Valley Creek Reservoir (Trinity County)

Anyone have any intel on the fishing here? Not looking for secrets, just wanna know if it's worth checking out with the float tube. I understand it's a CalTrout "project" lake.

A PM is fine if you don't wanna post here. Thanks.

~Jeff

My "intel" is nearly 20 years old, so take it for what it's worth. We fished both the dam and inlet ends, did better at the inlet end. The fish then were plentiful, and fought well beyond their 12-16" size. It almost looked like there were two separate strains, on that looked like a river rainbow, the other that was Leander and more silver, like the trapped steelhead strain they probably were. Very much worth the trip in - would love to know if that's still the case.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    My "intel" is nearly 20 years old, so take it for what it's worth. We fished both the dam and inlet ends, did better at the inlet end. The fish then were plentiful, and fought well beyond their 12-16" size. It almost looked like there were two separate strains, on that looked like a river rainbow, the other that was Leander and more silver, like the trapped steelhead strain they probably were. Very much worth the trip in - would love to know if that's still the case.
    Right on! Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

~Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Anyone have any intel on the fishing here? Not looking for secrets, just wanna know if it's worth checking out with the float tube. I understand it's a CalTrout "project" lake.

A PM is fine if you don't wanna post here. Thanks.

~Jeff
    I remember Herb from The Trinity Fly Shop mentioning this place on his monthly-ish blog. It was within the last two years i am sure. It sounded as though it could definitely be worth the trip..... Hell, if it turns out to be a bust just head over to Lewiston and hit that. Big fish in Lewi!

As I recall, the trail in splits pretty early, right fork goes to the dam (~1 mile), the left to the upper end (~2 miles). Definitely need a tube, steep banks. We just fished leeches / buggers and similar, cast along downed timber, points, everyplace that looked fishy - and they were. Again, it was a pretty new lake then, has likely matured a bit by now, but I'm sure this winter alone would have changed the upper end. Have fun - not sure how soon you're going, but the upper end of the Trinity below the dam also opens this weekend. If the water is clear, it can be great for adult steelies and bluebacks on the surface. Last year was lousy, but the 3 years prior were great (drought years = clear water in April).

20 or more years for me too. It was great fun.

Somebody go up there and let us know.

I first fished it about 20 years ago also. I don't fish it every year, but it's still viable. By my account there's still a ton of fish but they've gotten a bit smaller on the average (~9-13" on the average) and are not very selective in the spring. A 15-18" fish is big here. The fish do get more selective as invert activity increases going into the summer and it shuts down pretty hard in the dog days. You'll still catch fish in the summer, just not at a hand over fist rate. I'd call the TFS for conditions before you go.

It by no means is a bad place to spend the day, particularly if you like piddlers by the dozens, but as others have pointed out, there's lots of choices (better choices IMO) that at a lot easier to get to close by.

fished it once long ago and not a real fan - I am not much for deep lakes with steep banks - much prefer shallow lakes and sight fishing and really do not like trolling in a tube

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    Have fun - not sure how soon you're going, but the upper end of the Trinity below the dam also opens this weekend. If the water is clear, it can be great for adult steelies and bluebacks on the surface. Last year was lousy, but the 3 years prior were great (drought years = clear water in April).
    Yesterday it was dirty and lousy.

Quote Originally Posted by goby View Post
    Yesterday it was dirty and lousy.
    Hmmm. Thanks for the head's up, Goby. Any idea on when the lake usually clears up?