Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you looking for here on our forum?

Default What are you looking for here on our forum?

Some help with your casting, fly tying classes, a guided trip, travel, equipment, local fishing info, or searching our classifieds?

This is a great place to post questions about anything to do with fly fishing or fly tying.

Let us know what you need and collectively our wonderful members will try to help you.

Spring is near so getting things planned is a good idea.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

I need the rivers to go down. Any help would be appreciated!!!!! LOL.

Bob

I will work on it Bob.......

**Early on we might have to fish bass & panfish, Stripers, trout lakes and spring creeks but our mid-summer and fall fishing should be much better now with all this snow.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    Bill,

I need the rivers to go down. Any help would be appreciated!!!!! LOL.

Bob

That's funny Yubaman! Lol!

Eric
    Last edited by EricO; 03-20-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: change

I've been reading fly fishing boards since they started and like fishing itself have been going down the tubes. Boards used to reflect the fishing trips, the catches and the excitement. As the fisheries declined so the boards and the excitement. In the absence of fish, fly fishing and more specifically two handed fly fishing has evolved to a boring and continuous talk about rods and lines and distance. The catches far and few, and that my friends is what brings the excitement and ultimately sales for the retailers. People used to share things on the boards, now they are afraid to post a picture or name a river or what fly worked that day to avoid the critics of the politically correct crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by mogaru View Post
    I,ve been reading fly fishing boards since they started and like fishing itself have been going down the tubes. Boards used to reflect the fishing trips, the catches and the excitement. As the fisheries declined so the boards and the excitement. In the absence of fish, fly fishing and more specifically two handed fly fishing has evolved to a boring and continuos talk about rods and lines and distance. The catches far and few, and that my friends is what brings the excitement and ultimately sales for the retailers. People used to share things on the boards, now they are afraid to post a picture or name a river or what fly worked that day to avoid the critics of the politically correct crowd.
    I don't mean to sound negative but I can definitely side with the above poster. I like to share my successes and failures on the board fishing. I post reports and updates from my perspective. I would say I fish quite a bit more than the average angler. I'm blessed and take full opportunity of the situation. But some people calling others out on this board as if you gave GPS coordinates on where the fish are is ridiculous. Most people will never invest the time and energy to go. They just won't. People are busy and lead lives outside of fishing. Some are lazy. Who knows. Furthermore conditions change and fish move. What worked today might not work tomorrow. Best thing to do is actually fish. Just go and see. Some of my best days are when conditions weren't that great.

Its not all bad though. Some people share a lot and give great updates. They provide honest feedback. They are trying to help out in many ways and get people excited about the sport.

I would love to see more pictures and updates. Sometimes just a shot of the river or lake is worth more than a blog. But these days I get a lot more out of the classified section(s) than I do on the actual topics of fly fishing.

I dunno how serious the question was but as a so-so fly fisherman, here's what I want.

I want to get connected to local people.

I want to learn about great places to go (I went to the Bob because of this forum)

I want to learn how to be better at this sport. I can cast but I'd like to learn about switch rods, spey rods, better casting, better fishing.

I want great deals on used stuff and I want to provide great deals on used stuff.

I want to learn about new equipment.

I want to learn about existing equipment (the whole fast/slow discussion).

I want to learn about fishing for stripers.

I don't want to learn about indicator fishing. If I wanted to bobber fish I'd cut bait.

So I guess I want to learn as much as I can, maybe meet some people, but learn, learn, learn.

I'm an engineer, learning is what I do.

Check out Granite Bay or CFfU, they are a wealth of info. Call the shop for info on these clubs.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Good question. Tons of people view the board. They are all looking for something. I have been looking at the board for about 12 years and have learned a lot from the board. I get ideas on where to fish, what other people are doing, conditions on local waters and generally what is going on in the world of fishing. Spirited debate is interesting to look at if everyone is respectful which is usually the case here. Guide reports are good and I hope they keep coming. I could list more but that is basically it. In exchange for what I have gotten from the board I feel I should give something back so I make photo reports when I have something I think people would enjoy seeing. Hopefully people will continue to post and contribute so we have something to look at.

Interesting topic
    This forum started out with a comradery you couldn't find in any other forum. It was moderated by the people and it was a treasure of pictures and stories and golden information. I personally posted hundreds of reports here. Eventually the riff raff started to show up and the pot started to boil. It seemed like one continuous argument. Eventually the originators of this forum faded off into the sunset sick of the drama. Good ole Bill kiene was and is always such a class act. He hung in there with such a kind heart thru thick and thin. I felt so bad for him watching this family scatter to the wind. I don't even know if it's changed cause I'm rarely here anymore. Maybe check in a few times a year now. I'm sure there's some really great new members here.
    I think social media has largely bred a generation that loves to argue in anonymity. It way transcends the fishing forums. It's everywhere you look. In some ways I wish a big lightning bolt would just strike the the www and fry the whole internet machine so we could get back to being civil