Thread: Damsel nymph

Default Damsel nymph

Hey guys,

Anybody have a decent Damsel nymph that want to share. I'll be using it at Davis.

Carl.

Carl,

Never needed more than Kaufmann's Marabou Damsel. Take a look Steve Schalla's site for that and a few others: http://stevenojai.tripod.com/maradamsel.htm.
    -JD

Thanks JD for the information

not a pattern but a method. A number of years ago I found some small diameter cork around an inch long. I cut off maybe a 1/4 inch piece and slide it on leader just above a triple surgeons maybe 6" above fly. My damsel pattern has a pretty long sparse marabout tail. If you have watched damsels, they are often right in the surface and wiggle like a bastard but do not move very quickly. Can't really see the cork but it suspends the damsel fly in the upper few inches - just twitch it in with small little pulls to keep that tail moving and hold on

Rick,

Are you doing Davis this year?

Thanks for the information

Carl

Hi Carl,
    Might be there in a couple of weeks when snow allows access but living in a 32' trailer now and following fish so have maybe better opportunities than Davis. Spending 3 weeks up fishing BC lakes late May. Baby tarpon in June, Newfoundland Atlantics in early July and rest of summer in Idaho/Montana

Best,
    Rick

Rick, interesting idea!

I don't fish Davis, just my native utah lakes and some Arizona lakes, but I've always had great luck with a simplified version (I simplify most of their flies as they're overly technical and use hard to get materials) of Fly Fish Food's Gut Bomb Damsel:

http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014/06/g...fly-nymph.html

Also, I use small bead chain eyes, instead of mono eyes, because they're much more durable.

not sure if you have seen this video posted by Bill - really good photography - good segment showing damsel migration and how near the surface they are - thus my concept in the above post about keeping bug suspended

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...msel-fly-video

Henrys Lake, late June, glassy surface and bright sun about about 9-10am. See the little critters all around the tube. Occasional cutt or hybrid blasting them right under the surface. Kind of why I carry a floating line and just swim the fly fast enough to give it a little action. Fun when it all clicks!!!