Thread: Eagle Claw L1197 or similar?

Default Eagle Claw L1197 or similar?

The 1197 was the old traditional heavy wire, chrome, down eye shad fly hook, doesn't appear to be available anymore. Does anybody know of a similar hook available? I use it for my comets as well as shad flies, and have run out of old flies to cut up. I realize that there are plenty of other styles, but these just look right, I guess. Would appreciate any help so I don't have to actually adjust my thinking.

Sir,

I have about 300 of those hooks in size 6....make me an offer?

Carl

Default 1197 Hooks

he chrome EC version was 1197N. Carls offer sounds like a good opportunity to acquire some. Right size, too. An alternative hook to use might be a Mustad 3908/3908C. Shorter Shank, same finish. Trouble is that they're also hard to find.
    Last edited by Darian; 03-16-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

Your right on, I think the 1197 N is pretty much done for. However I do have around 300 in my stash.

The 3908 C are still available from the fly shop (I think) however they are expensive, and that hook is way too soft for me.

Carl Blackledge

I sold fly fishing hooks for about 50 years and at one time the Eagle Claw 1197 was a very popular hook.

It came in size 2 to 8 in Nickel (1197N), Gold (1197G) and Bronze (1197B).

It was used for Shad, salmon and Steelhead.

The other 'go to' Shad hook, as Darian and Carl mentioned, was the Mustad 3908C which was shorter and popular in smaller sizes. I think it was made in size 2 to 12.

I think they are both discontinued but on occasion they might come up used....

As Carl mentioned, The Fly Shop in Redding, CA has a hook that is very similar to the Mustad 3908C.

In the 1960s Joe Shirshac tied Shad flies and sold them to many sporting good stores and tackle shops around Sacramento.

I think they were on a #4 EC 1197 N back then.

The top fly is very much like the fly that Joe tied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shad1.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	12795  
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bought a hundred Size 6 Mustad 3908C from Phil Fisher years ago after they were discontinued. That was the perfect hook for tying Wet Pinkies. Got some Size 8 3908C's from Kiene's about a year ago and they work great for a white shad fly that I tie.

Jeff,

The 3908 C has been the standard for at least a few decades for Shad flies, I have used 10 s of thousands for Shad, however I wouldn't think of using that hook for Steelhead or Salmon....They are simply too soft.

My 2 cents

Carl Blackledge