Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2017 AR Shad Reports

Fished with Smitty last night and we both got into double digits. The bite was not consistent except Smitty found a bucket when he first got there and it was fast and furious for 30 minutes and then it went dead. They are definitely moving!

Flows going up tomorrow to 9500cfs!
    Be safe out there.

Fished last night with Nathan and his Dad. It was a slow start for me as I watched them land fish above me but it picked up late for me. Ended up with double digits and a 25" wild steelhead buck that took a small Wet Pinky!

That's awesome Jeff! You never know what one will hook into on the A... anytime of year!

Leave it to Mark to remain a lurker on here until someone posts something about a Steelhead... lol

Mark was probably half asleep until he saw the word "steelhead"........yahoo.

Sweet fish....a picture of it is on Jeff Ching Facebook page.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Double digits again but the increase in flow has made wading tough (not for the fainthearted). Couldn't get any out deep because I couldn't get down deep enough with a Type 8 sink tip. I'm going to try T-17 or T-20 today.

Oh, I love those! The equivalent of trolling with a five-pound lead ball...

What size rod are you throwing those on?

Didn't throw any heavy stuff last night but if I did it would have been with my 8119 TCX with a 600 grain iFlight head. I got a little side tracked yesterday when Danny The Kid called me and told me that he was getting into them at spot I only occasionally fish. By the time I got there two gear guys took the only spot that I could fish. I tried fishing above them for a while but only caught a handful so I drove to another spot and fished the last hour by myself. Ended up getting over 10 in that last hour so it turned out to be an OK evening.

I agree about trying to wade in these flows. If it's fast moving water I don't go any deeper than my knees and in slower water I try not to go any deeper that mid-thigh. The big fresh hens are very hard to lift when they pin themselves down. I'm using a 6119 Method most of the time and don't try to bring them to hand until I get them on the surface. I probably have the record for broken rods fishing for shad!