Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2017 AR Shad Reports

It should still be good late June Jay!

In the 1950s and 1960s I started spin fishing for American Shad at south Sacramento's "Minnow Hole".

I started fly fishing the Lower American River in the 1960s when at upper Goethe Park run, now River Bend Park, on the weekends in the spring had a line up of 50 to 100 anglers with 90% being fly fishers.

There were so many American Shad then that everyone who had a clue was catching Shad.

The Shad Addicts use to report "100 fish days" back then.

Flies were size #4 and 6 back then.

Rods were usually 9' #9 line 2 piece fiberglass fly rods with mono shooting line and 30' shooting heads.

I all my 50 years in the fishing business near the Lower American River we had some "top Shad anglers" but none compare to the dedication and contribution of today's Jeff Ching.

The late Dave Howard would be the only other person that would be in Jeff's league that I can recall.

Old timers like Walt Bennett, Henry Starr and Joe Shirshac did their share of Shad fishing.

Tournament caster and rod designer Jimmy Green from Fenwick and outdoor writer Ted Trueblood use to come fly fish the Lower American River in the 1950s and 1960s with local Shad fly fishing pioneer Walt Bennett.

At that time the Lower American River was one of the most famous and best US rivers for wading and fly fishing for American Shad.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

No shad in the upper river yet on a recon float with a Earle Slone. Lots of good looking water along with lots of changes. This is the first time you could see the changes to the river bottom. It's going to be really interesting to see what it looks like at 3000 cfs. A few shad are being caught mid river but it's not red hot yet. I think it will be good in a week!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-08-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Be a long time before we see 3,000
    I bet the river goes back up to 15,000 soon.

Flows are at 9500 and the access to Watt Ave is blocked off. Sometimes wonder why I bother buying a pass.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

County Parks can't control Mother Nature...
    I've fished the AR 4-7 days a week all winter and spring and though I've spent a lot of time scouting and relearning water, I've caught fish about 60% of my outings... and gotten in great shape doing it

Went out after work and fished the middle river in the middle of all the gear guys. Caught my first shad of the season on a Too sexy and a small striper about the same size on the Pearl Mirror. It was slow even for the gear guys!

May 8th....2017.....cool.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

It's still not red hot on the American. The middle river has been sporadically good for spin guys but a sea lion showed up yesterday according to Mr. Matt and shut the bit down. The upper river is still not producing but Earle Sloane caught a big hen last night so they are slowing trickling in. If you are traveling far to get to the American I would wait a week or two. I can hit it every day since it's on my way home from work and I live 10 minutes from the upper river.

im getting my butt back into fishing this year but i have never dealt with this type of river level. i use a half sink do i need to go to a full sink for this? i work in the rancho cordova area and can easily access el manto river access, when do they start showing up around that area?