Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2017 AR Shad Reports

If you are using a single handed rod your best bet would be to get a bunch of different sink rate shooting heads that you can change out on a one reel that is spooled with a good running line. If you want sink tips with integrated running lines you will have to get individual reel spools for each line. Go to the shop and they will help you get set up with the right equipment. Since the shad are showing up mid river I expect them to be at El Manto within a week.

Jeff,

I was on the lower American yesterday chasing stripers. We saw numerous schools of shad on the fish finder each with a large striper swimming along with them. It was almost comical as we'd see the school, and then ask where's the striper with them? Sure enough a larger blip would be right along or over them.

We also saw several sea lions up as far as Paradise beach and around the black railroad trussel. Those damn things eat everything but they sure tell you where the fish are too.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony,

I know that there are always stripers when the shad are in. It's common to be really getting into hooking shad left and right and then it goes dead because a big striper moved into the hole. Last year one of Andy's clients landed a 25 lb striper that inhaled a shad that was being reeled in. As for sea lions, one was at Gristmill two days ago and it shut the bite down. A big one was up at Sailor Bar in March chomping on chrome steelies. I wish they would stay in their natural habitat, the ocean!

Jeff

thanks for the tip jeff. will try el manto next week.

Tried the middle river after work and it was crowded with gear anglers. Fished above them and caught a half a dozen or so before it went dead (a striper must have moved into the hole). Tried a bunch of different flies but the Maria was the most productive. Ran into Jack from the forum on my way out. Nice to meet you Jack!

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    Be a long time before we see 3,000
    I bet the river goes back up to 15,000 soon.
    How many steelhead did you land this year?

Nice to meet you as well Jeff! I went up above and landed three. Hoping to do a little exploring and find water where I don't have to deal with the crowds.

Yes, the gear and bobber anglers are almost impossible to fish with! Think higher up but not the upper river yet!

The middle river has slowed down because they have been moving up but more should be coming in. Did a short float last night with Earle and his brother and we didn't get a bump so they are not up high yet. Smitty did good yesterday mid river and I went there today for one lost fish. Tried up higher and caught 6, one right after the other, then it went dead and I couldn't find them so they must be on the move.

I fished yesterday around Ancil area. About 10 fish in 3 hrs and they came in waves. just consistent enough to keep me interested. nice to be out on the water!

Chuck