Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2017 AR Shad Reports

5 during the day. Got run out of a spot by 5 gear guys this evening so I met up with Aron. I was between him and another Spey angler. They were both hooking up and not me (got 5 and Aron got over 20). Watched Earle and his kids put the hurt on the shad in his boat below us. They put about 80 to the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Acosby7 View Post
    How's the Arden rapid now that flows have dropped down a bit?
    Powerful as ever... I got sucked in and carried from the point below the walnut orchard down to the power lines... Dropped a 1,000 rod/reel combo in the river, then climbed out, walked, hiked, swam around Harris Hole and back up through the braids so I could cross again and get back to the point where my pack and other rod was. It was quite the sporty episode in the dark... I went back and swam it the next day and got a great work out but no gear. On the third day, Krazy-Mike Koe was kind enough to pick me up in his V-drifter and 20 minutes later he spotted my rod/reel and my very beat-to-shit and mojo-laden, wooden plug ("Sporty-Pencil") carved by the late, Joey Rivera... I jumped in, hanging on to Mike's anchor line and fetched my gear. I didn't see any shad and if you plan on wading, I wouldn't step out too far...

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    Powerful as ever... I got sucked in and carried from the point below the walnut orchard down to the power lines... Dropped a 1,000 rod/reel combo in the river, then climbed out, walked, hiked, swam around Harris Hole and back up through the braids so I could cross again and get back to the point where my pack and other rod was. It was quite the sporty episode in the dark... I went back and swam it the next day and got a great work out but no gear. On the third day, Krazy-Mike Koe was kind enough to pick me up in his V-drifter and 20 minutes later he spotted my rod/reel and my very beat-to-shit and mojo-laden, wooden plug ("Sporty-Pencil") carved by the late, Joey Rivera... I jumped in, hanging on to Mike's anchor line and fetched my gear. I didn't see any shad and if you plan on wading, I wouldn't step out too far...
    Talk about adventure!!!! Crazy! Yes watching your step is a must with the river being changed! Also still the same slippery rocks! Glad you got your stuff back Mark!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Krazy thing about it.... I WAS watching my step. I stepped in to the rip on purpose to test how deep/fast it was.
    The test answer was?
    Fast enough...
    to give Marky Mark a big hug and a couple of kisses, haha I love the river and it loves me back

Thanks Mark, I'm more curious about running my drift boat through it. i would assume this area would be subject to some of the more drastic flow changes but have yet to float through

Crazy Mark! Hope you were wet wading because if you had waders on it would have been life or death! Did a short float with Earle this evening and we got almost 70 to the boat.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 07-02-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acosby7 View Post
    Thanks Mark, I'm more curious about running my drift boat through it. i would assume this area would be subject to some of the more drastic flow changes but have yet to float through
    Drift boat should get through just fine. The clay is still where it's always been in the Arden Rapids below the bridge... and if anything, the run is deeper than any time since DWR F'ed it all up with Cat D9's in the name of gravel/habitat restoration...

Had a decent evening. 28 in hand and had to endure the rock thrower species on the river below about 30 yards. Funny how this generation of kids not much for manners!

There were some boats below me about 100-200 yards down and not much action from how much I was paying attention.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Did any Shad make it up to the Red Bluff area?

Yes, up to the Diversion Dam. Slow day for me only 2 during the day and 4 in the evening trying another spot up river. They are in deep water in the middle during the day.