Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2017 AR Shad Reports

Got to fish today and land 35. There are shad everywhere! Some are willing to take other pods not so much! About stingers full I truly wonder what people do with so much shad. I see some that are out on a daily take limits every day. But hey what do I know O_o
    The shad this year are a must think outside of the box to get them if you're wading. In the boat quite a bit easier. But still good to be on the constant change of their not taking what you're casting out.

On a side note when Jeff posted that I broke two rods yea it sucked because the TCX's is my fav. But good news is my 6wt is already on the way back!! I broke it on the 15th and it's arriving Saturday! Sage sure is awesome!
    Last edited by winxp_man; 06-30-2017 at 12:09 AM.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I floated from Sunrise to Howe last night and saw a good number of big schools of shad still moving up. FYI, Howe is still locked. We had to row back up to Watt to get out.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    I floated from Sunrise to Howe last night and saw a good number of big schools of shad still moving up. FYI, Howe is still locked. We had to row back up to Watt to get out.
    How's the Arden rapid now that flows have dropped down a bit?

Message from old friend:

"On Wednesday morning I was walking my dog along the the American river and crossed back across the old Fair Oaks bridge. I always look down scouting for fish and noticed a few people on the upstream side of the bridge looking down in the water and pointing. I walked on over, looked down and saw the biggest school of Shad that I've ever seen. There were literally thousands of Shad! The school was about 50' wide and a long as I could see. Amazing sight. Mike"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Finally a good day! Earle, Sierra and I put almost 90 to the boat on a short 3 hour float this evening. Sierra is getting a Spey casting lesson from Andy tomorrow! Look out we have another shad slayer in the making!

So saw Jeff and Co. killing it below me! At first I thought I might go home skunked for the first time shad fishing! Haha got some grabs early on but nothing that stuck. So I proceeded down river and gave a fellow fly guy (that was there with his daughter) some of my evening special flies and moved back up. By then some older fellers came in wanting to hook into some shad and gave them a couple of bloody Maria's. then let them try my spot. That didn't go to well being that had to wade a bit out to cast the regular fly rods. They had to be a bit close to shore but the bushes didn't help the situation to much. So I went above further and at one point was caring out about 100-120' of line! Then hooked 4-5 right in front of the older gentleman what was down below me. They decided to move down further and I got my spot back with about 45 mins of fishin left. I ended with 16 in hand. Fun evening either way. And was glad to give some tips to fellow fly fishermen and fisher women
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Nice going Aron......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Finally a good day! Earle, Sierra and I put almost 90 to the boat on a short 3 hour float this evening. Sierra is getting a Spey casting lesson from Andy tomorrow! Look out we have another shad slayer in the making!
    How'd you do in that spot you were fishing when we passed by you in the boat, Jeff? I thought about anchoring right there but when I saw you guys show up, I figured I'd let you guys have it.

It was ok but is a better evening spot!

We are pretty lucky to have our nice clear little Lower American River running right through our town.

Glad to see the Shad run has been good.

Maury Hatch told me early on he had some wonderful Striper fishing with clients.

I fished it for over 50 years and have lots of fond memories with good fishing buddies.

Glad to see good memories are in the making today too.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958