Thread: Polar bear fur?

Default Polar bear fur?

So when I got into fly tying 6 years ago a buddy of mine and myself bought a large box of fly tying material from a older gentleman who was selling off his stuff. Well, in that box along with tons of other fur and feathers I came across a bag labeled 'Polar Bear'. I've never gave it much thought and have never used it but have heard of it being used before. My question is, is it even legal for me to have this and if so can I sell it?

It use to be legal years ago so any of that old stuff is OK.

Fly shops can't sell it new in the US.

It is very special for classic winged Steelhead flies......it has a sheen and translucent look.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Translucence is a perfect word for the stuff. I've got some too that a friend brought back from a Canada trip. I've been saving it for something special and don't want to waste it on just everyday fishing for stripers . It's perfect for baitfish type flies used in clear waters where fish might be gun shy to anything less than perfect.
    Hmmmm?, Maybe for fishing some of the high mountain lakes for big trout? It's hard to justify using on flies around here with all the clean water we have. Maybe on the American or the Yuba if they ever clear enough when this high water goes down.

Funny how when you want or have got something special, you're afraid to use it
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I believe if it was brought to the US prior to 1973 then it is legal to possess, but I probably need to be fact checked on that.

In the late 90's one of our local Idaho fly tiers had a garage sale. Scored some Polar Bear and enjoyed some conversation with the old guy. I was concerned about the legality too but he assured me that it was "Grandfathered Legal". I had one natural patch and two dyed. One red and the other purple. Beautiful stuff and I've used all the natural white since then for skunks and streamers. According to the old guy this was from a bear taken back in the 30's. In spite of its age it's still beautiful hair.

One of the perks of putting up with Rocky Mountain winters is these occasional garage sale finds!