Thread: More On The Proposed Pebble Mine

It is interesting that Northern Dynasty's stock price more than quadrupled since the November election before the recent price drop. That alone sounds pretty impressive until you look at the numbers. The stock price went from around $.75 to over $3.45 during this timeframe. That is still quite a fall from its 2011 price pegged around $20 a share while in parabolic mode. With the new pro-industry head at the EPA, I wondered what would happen with Pebble Mine going forward. Some even put money on it hoping to reap the rewards. Recent stock pricing since February 10th or Valentine's Day as you suggest had a price drop of over 33%. This bet was definitely not for the faint of heart investors. With the exit of partners that are big players in the mining industry, including Teck, Mitsubishi, Rio Tinto, and Anglo American, Northern Dynasty now lacks the deep pockets for the upfront costs it once had. If I recall correctly, Rio Tinto passed their investment in the way of shares to Native Alaskan organizations just give them some skin in the game. That is one way to write down an investment. Without the upfront capitalization that the mentioned companies could provide at one time, it is doubtful that the project would go anywhere. With commodity prices still on the skids, these companies are in contraction mode having a difficult time funding their own projects by selling off assets. Northern Dynasty was rumored to have hedge fund backing (read as bottom feeders) going forward, but perhaps it was only on paper. Someone did well short term, but only if they sold prior to Valentine's Day.

It is interesting to watch this all play out to this point.
    I doubt it's over because of what lies underground in that area. As John Muir said, "Nothing dollarable is safe, however guarded." And with the change of leadership at the EPA, it's probably not even guarded anymore.

Default Committee Letter to EPA

Seems the Trump administration has written a letter to EPA telling them to relax opposition to Pebble Mine. Check it out:

https://www.adn.com/politics/2017/02...o-pebble-mine/
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Gee, what possible interest could a politician from Texas have in a proposed mine in Alaska, a mine proposed by a Canadian company?