Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two or three flies

It's fine in lakes, and I think the Delta. Generally not legal in moving water unless there's a specific exception.

Read the regs.....it says nothing about "moving water".
    Whether the warden knows it or checks is another matter.
    The warden up here knows about it...

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 03-07-2017 at 10:16 AM.

The regs are clear right at the opening of the fishing reg book:
    "2.00. Fishing Methods--General.
    (a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto.

2.10. Hook and Weight Restrictions.
    4. It is unlawful to use any weight directly attached below a hook."

But then there's this....

• (a) Definition of Gap: For the purposes of this section, “gap” means the distance measured from the point of a hook to the shank.
    • (b) Maximum Gaps and Gear Rigging for Rivers and Streams unless otherwise provided (does not apply to lakes and reservoirs, the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition of the Delta), and the Colorado River).
      • 1. No person shall use any single hook with a gap greater than 1 inch or any multiple hook with a gap greater than 3/4 inch.
      • 2. It is unlawful to use any hook which is directly or indirectly attached closer than 18 inches to any weight exceeding 1/2 ounce.
      • 3. It is unlawful to use any multiple hook or more than one single hook on non-buoyant lures exceeding one ounce.
      • 4. It is unlawful to use any weight directly attached below a hook.

• (c) Maximum Gaps for the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition of the Delta).
      • 1. No person shall use any single hook with a gap greater than 1 inch or any multiple hook with a gap greater than 3/4 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by JAWallace View Post
    But then there's this....

• (a) Definition of Gap: For the purposes of this section, “gap” means the distance measured from the point of a hook to the shank.
    • (b) Maximum Gaps and Gear Rigging for Rivers and Streams unless otherwise provided (does not apply to lakes and reservoirs, the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition of the Delta), and the Colorado River).
      • 2. It is unlawful to use any hook which is directly or indirectly attached closer than 18 inches to any weight exceeding 1/2 ounce.
      • 3. It is unlawful to use any multiple hook or more than one single hook on non-buoyant lures exceeding one ounce.
      • 4. It is unlawful to use any weight directly attached below a hook.

• (c) Maximum Gaps for the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition of the Delta).

I don't drop shot in CA or any other water for that matter. There are plenty of methods that are are effective to get your flies down. If you are getting hung up on bottom you are deep enough. Its not that scientific.

I use 3 nymphs most of the time. I also have been doing it for many years. I didn't until I was really good with 2. Still, everything others have said about it is true....learning curve is painful...time, cost, tangles, more flies lost sometimes. I was stubborn about it. Not sure looking back if it was worth the price lol. Now, it's second nature though.

As for drop shotting and the regs, the way I and others read them is different. IF you are attaching DIRECTLY TO AND BELOW A HOOK, it's illegal. Use tag ends of knots or looped droppers off the main line for your flies, then you are legal. The key is "directly attached below a hook." It would simply say "below a hook" otherwise. I don't use this method, but it is legal. If you don't understand the nuanced difference, I wouldn't do it.

It is surprising that we don't have any resident wardens as part of the community. I will say in other discussions I have seen on the subject, that wardens have confirmed this. It also wouldn't surprise me if this rule is not completely understood by all of them, which is another matter...

Quote Originally Posted by TyV View Post
    As for drop shotting and the regs, the way I and others read them is different. IF you are attaching DIRECTLY TO AND BELOW A HOOK, it's illegal. Use tag ends of knots or looped droppers off the main line for your flies, then you are legal. The key is "directly attached below a hook." It would simply say "below a hook" otherwise. I don't use this method, but it is legal. If you don't understand the nuanced difference, I wouldn't do it.
    That is my take and how I make up my two fly system by leaving the tag end off the lower surgeons knot long for spit shot.

Yea, I tie a little too.... you know idle hands the devils work.

Thanks to all for the input!

tight lines~!
    rob
    jrsyboyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20170308_060454.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	12769

You can tie a monster tungsten beadhead stonefly nymph with extra lead wrapping as your bottom fly and have weight below your 2nd fly without breaking the rules.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    You can tie a monster tungsten beadhead stonefly nymph with extra lead wrapping as your bottom fly and have weight below your 2nd fly without breaking the rules.
    In Oregon, you have to leave the split shot off in FF only waters. I still have caddis larva flies that Cal Jordan(?), a well known guy in the Northwest, tied for me with fuse wire for the Metolius and Fall Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by JAWallace View Post
    In Oregon, you have to leave the split shot off in FF only waters. I still have caddis larva flies that Cal Jordan(?), a well known guy in the Northwest, tied for me with fuse wire for the Metolius and Fall Rivers.
    Not anymore...changed in 2016

"A statewide change implemented by the Salem office of the ODFW is that weight may now be used on streams that are designated as fly-fishing only. In Central Oregon, this pertains to the Metolius and Fall Rivers. Instead of finding a big, heavy fly to get to the bottom of the river where trout may lurk, anglers can attach split shot to get their flies down quickly. "