Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two or three flies

Very good to know,thank you TyV.

As far as the drop shot thing goes, laws and regulations are not up for interpretation. It's not how you and your buddies read it and try and find a loop hole or a way around it.

I've spoken with the department about this and they told me that if you lift your rig out of the water and the last thing that comes out of the water is your weight you are fishing illegally. So getting cute with tag ends is still illegal.

Imagine the salmon snaggers learning how to tie things off tag ends and getting away with it.

yea, i go and snag all the time with sz. 18 hares ears.

And i deal with CDFW all the time too (i work for an engineering firm who does bridge work so always getting a 1600 Streambed alteration permit or endangered species consultation from the Hazel office) and haven't had a problem yet. But i don't look like i'm trying to snag salmon either.

i'd worry more about barbs being pinched down than having a couple BB's hanging an inch below where your fly is.

Just my $0.02

tight lines~!
    rob
    jrsyboy

I know you aren't going out and snagging and am not accusing you of doing so. Sorry if that is how that post came off.

The intent of the regulation is to prohibit snagging. It doesn't have anything to do with high sticking or drop shotting with fly gear. Unfortunately we are on the raw end of the deal here because the regulation is not designed for intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    You can tie a monster tungsten beadhead stonefly nymph with extra lead wrapping as your bottom fly and have weight below your 2nd fly without breaking the rules.
    I did this on the Rogue, with two and three flies, because it's required, and I wound up catching most of my steelhead on that giant Otis Bug that I though was just a sinker. I like this method because every item on your line (flies, floats, and lead) makes you more likely to tangle and makes the tangle worse when it happens. Why not have an extra chance for a bite on your "sinker"?

that's exactly how this thread got started. I am tying up a bunch of tungsten "extra leaded" jig flies to euro/tightline nymph with. But for trout, I have more confidence in a sz 18 frenchie or serendipity than I do in a sz 14 jiggy hares ear. So I wanted to know if I could still fish my two flies (frenchie and serendipity/La Fontaine caddis pupa) and throw the boat anchor at the bottom and be kosher.

the short answer is yes. It just took three pages to get there.

thanks to all and tight lines~!
    rob
    jrsyboy

Quote Originally Posted by berryessie View Post
    As far as the drop shot thing goes, laws and regulations are not up for interpretation. It's not how you and your buddies read it and try and find a loop hole or a way around it.

I've spoken with the department about this and they told me that if you lift your rig out of the water and the last thing that comes out of the water is your weight you are fishing illegally. So getting cute with tag ends is still illegal.

Imagine the salmon snaggers learning how to tie things off tag ends and getting away with it.
    I am NOT interpreting the rule incorrectly. I am reading very literally. You see, I have outstanding reading comprehension. Other fishers have spoken to the department about it as well and been told the actual literal meaning of the law. As I said in my original post...I wouldn't be shocked if some at the department don't actually understand...can't comprehend the literal wording of the law. As well, everything about our legal system...is wording and interpretation, until a court sets precedent on that wording...or interprets that law. You should understand how it works and have a lot better reading comprehension before trying to lecture other people...without merit.

I know that if it goes to court...literally by the wording, I am correct in what I said and very confident it would stand up in court. It's not even debatable.

Weight below a hook is weight below a hook.

From the department. "The Czech system (if set-up traditionally) makes it a little tricky as you could have the weights "above" the point or terminal nymph as tied on the leader as a "tag" end, but once the system is fished the weights will be below the point nymph if the "tag" end is long enough, hence that should be considered illegal."
    Last edited by berryessie; 03-16-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by berryessie View Post
    Weight below a hook is weight below a hook.

From the department. "The Czech system (if set-up traditionally) makes it a little tricky as you could have the weights "above" the point or terminal nymph as tied on the leader as a "tag" end, but once the system is fished the weights will be below the point nymph if the "tag" end is long enough, hence that should be considered illegal."
    From who? At what department? Is this in the regs somewhere? Please show the page. If that is someones interpretation, it does not matter if they work for the DFW. Again, I read the regs literally...and what you keep saying is NOT correct. The regs say "directly below the hook" They do NOT say "below any hook" Reading comprehension is key. IF that comes from an employee of DFW, they are interpreting the rule incorrectly. IF that is the intent of DFW, then they need to re write the rule. Currently, that is NOT the rule. Sorry, it just isn't.

et al----sort of off the specific discussion but something for all to think about...

Having fly fished in California for decades there have been numerous occasions when I've made inquiries about regulation stipulations/enforcement directly to "field staff"...game wardens (now I believe they're called Wildlife Officers). One inquiry was with the regional game warden supervisor (Region 1) and a couple of times directly to F & W Sac offices; the remaining with local wardens assigned the Truckee area.

This is what I've deducted; it doesn't seem to be a totally B/W issue; regardless of what is literally printed in the reg book. Once (the Region 1 warden supervisor) said to me; ..."It is a field decision."

Something to think about....Guess if someone gets ticketed on this drop-shot discussion...then one would have to appeal to the local judge.

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 03-16-2017 at 10:39 AM.