Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wtb 3 wt

Default Wtb 3 wt

Hello all,

I'm looking for a 7' or shorter 3 wt.

Thanks
    Walt

This is a wonderful, fun size fly rod for smaller stream fishing for trout or pan fish.

**Many, but not all, 3 weight are a faster action today and need a 4 weight line to get them to load in short.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Years ago I owned an Orvis 1wt. Thinking it was called a Superfine?? It was a riot to fish for small Cutts and Brookies. Broke the tip off one day walking down to Sawmill Creek. That 1wt was a HOOT!

Just had a thought; Cabelas has a 6'6" glass Eagle Claw 3/4 for $35. They're an adventure to cast but fun never the less.
    Last edited by Idadon; 03-04-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks Idadon!

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Years ago I owned an Orvis 1wt. Thinking it was called a Superfine?? It was a riot to fish for small Cutts and Brookies. Broke the tip off one day walking down to Sawmill Creek. That 1wt was a HOOT!
    I still have mine, and still fish it occasionally. It is so versatile, will handle smaller bass and a good sized trout. Casts floating or sinking lines to 4 wt. just fine.

For graphite, it's hard to beat Redington Classic Trout rods. For the 3 weight slot I think fiberglass is by far the best choice in a 3-4-5 weight. Versatile, and the smallest fish is fun. I have a 2 weight glass rod for small panfish and bass that is a hoot with a 6" LMB but can't handle much of a fish over 8" or so. They are cheap too.

Love my Redington Classic Trout 3wt even though it's 6" longer than what you wanted. I didn't like the DT3F line so I put WF3F which is better. I think. 4WT would load better at the shorter distances I will use it for. Paired it with a Zero reel.

Quote Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
    Love my Redington Classic Trout 3wt even though it's 6" longer than what you wanted. I didn't like the DT3F line so I put WF3F which is better. I think. 4WT would load better at the shorter distances I will use it for. Paired it with a Zero reel.
    Yep, I had the Drift reels when I had my 3 CT rods, same idea as the Zero, perfect. Still have a couple of Drifts for light glass.

I find it difficult to cast any rod under 7.5' any distance. I have 2 7' rods and really don't like them as much as 7.5-8', my sweet spot for all rods. Anything over 8' to me seems long now. I can cast a 7.5' glass rod with the right line as far as a 9' carbon fiber rod, but drop off 6" and I'm lucky to get 30' (from a float tube). That distance is probably OK for most people though for an ultra light rod.

Idea! Look at the Echo glass line. 3 wt. 6'9", 4 wt. 7'4", $200. I had the 4 wt. Echo, and it was the most fun rod to cast I've ever owned until I got my Epics, but those are $$$. Haven't cast the 3 wt.--too short for me. I sold the 4 because with a fish on it was parabolic and I prefer a progressive taper. Personal. Otherwise, great rod, far better than the Redington Buttersticks.
    Last edited by JAWallace; 03-04-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Heading to the Echo site. You guys have been a great help. Thanks

I have an nice Powell Signature Series 6'6" 3wt I'd sell. Not a modern rod but about as sweet a casting light rod as your going to find.
    Rich
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Thanks all. Gonna try a 7' 4t Lulbegrud bamboo