Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Large Mouth Bass in the American River?

Default Any Large Mouth Bass in the American River?

Guys and Gals,

Are there any Large Mouth Bass in the American river? If so, where are they usually at? Also, as a follow up questions, what river or stream do you find bass in Northern Cali? I have no boat so bank fishing and wading will be my only option. I would like to fly fish for them bass! Thank you!

There are some LMB in the Lower American River.

Some of the ponds along the river that are connected to the river and also separated but close have LMB.

There are some ponds below Watt Avenue Bridge on the south side of the river that have LMB.

They seem to like slower or still water.

The Sacramento and Feather River have SMB too.

With no boat I would look at ponds like the Cameron Park Pond and Rancho Seco Pond.

I think April through October are the top months for bass on flies.

May is a great month for top water action.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Down below last chance on the A there are some along the rip rap wall!

There is actually a pretty solid population of LMB in the American River. The past couple of summers they have become a common bi-catch for me while striper fishing. I have seen them all over the river from Nimbus dam down to paradise, highest concentrations seem to be Arden-Watt and below last chance. Small clousers on a sink tip will get em! If you want some more info feel free to send a pm!
    Last edited by Garrett S; 02-27-2017 at 10:07 PM.

A former acquaintance did his doctoral thesis on the Lower American, and the water downstream of the 160 bridge was considered a blue ribbon LMB fishery, but you need a boat. On foot, Natoma and the surrounding ponds (Google Earth it) have some good fishing for LMB (ponds ) and big smallies (Natoma). The Consumnes has plentiful, if smallish, spots, and I've heard of some tribes that also fish well. There are a surprising number so sloughs, creeks, etc that fish well in the area, but you will have to do some homework, as most guys are (understandably) tight lipped about them.

My PB smallie is from the Lower American, +5 lbs. I've only found them in one spot, and it produces fairly well each year. Never seen a LMB on the A, good to know.

Can a 15' Whaler with a 60 HP outboard make it up to the riffles below Paradise? I've only gone between Watt and Howe with my smaller boat I no longer own, never fished below Paradise.

Depending on flows! There's a big sandy flat below and above the business 80 bridge. Who knows what it will be like after these flows come down

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Depending on flows! There's a big sandy flat below and above the business 80 bridge. Who knows what it will be like after these flows come down
    Thanks, Mark. My experience is over 4,500cfs the river is pretty outboard friendly if you watch carefully. Maybe when things settle we can grab Sheep and do some exploring.

That sounds like a blast, John! Mark has told me that he would run his striper boat with an outboard all over the river. I guess you just have to know the river and where the channels are to safely run up the runs without smashing your screw. Who knows what the river will look like now though. I'm sure the bottom structure has drastically changed. Did you ever get your Outbound issue figured out for that rod?

Andy Guibord, Kiene's American staff member, FFing guide, FFing instructor, artist, photographer, FFing travel expert has run the Lower American River with a prop outboard motor more than anyone else I know.

**Over the years Andy has destroyed a few motors in the river hitting rocks with his prop but now he is moving to a brand new 16' jet outboard skiff.

With a larger outboard prop boat you can launch at the mouth of the American River at
    Discovery Park and run up to Hwy 80 bridge at Cal Expo.

In higher flows you can go you as far as Paradise Beach at times.

I have launched a medium size outboard skiff at Howe Avenue and run up to Watt Avenue bridge and down to the bridge at Sac State College/Fair Oaks Blvd.

A small pram or Jon boat can run in very shallow water though......

I have always wanted to get a Jon boat with a Mud Motor for running small shallow water......

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........