Thread: Green River, Wyoming ,below Fontenelle .

Default Green River, Wyoming ,below Fontenelle .

I live 125 mile from it . Will be looking for someone to float with . I have my own pontoon boat .so if you have a drift boat or pontoon and need someone to float with and help shuttle give me a ring . I have fished it twice. But from shore .but just bought a Dave scadden ,zoo cougar pontoon boat . I use to drift the Yuba all the time when we live in Sac . I also have a spare bedroom and basement floor is you need a place to stay on the way to the upper green in Wyoming . We live in Cache Valley Ut now . The Logan River is 8 mile from our home and had some great fishing also . Mostly 12- 18 " Bonneville cutts and browns . The upper green in Wyoming has some great fishing , less people and some free camping areas for those of us on a tight budget .
    Last edited by RobK.; 02-25-2017 at 07:47 AM.

If you look up Robert Kempton on YouTube you will see a video of the upper green and my Boys , our grandkids and I fishing the Logan River .

Logan had a large car show every summer and the Logan River is known for its beautiful landscapes and fall colors .
    Last edited by RobK.; 02-25-2017 at 07:44 AM.

That's a magical location! I fished the green below Fontanelle last summer and it was just stunning hiow many large fish live in that river and feed on tiny Caddis and yellow Sallys. I Caught the biggest trout of my life there... a 22" football of a rainbow. He was in a very slow pool on a side channel along with about 30 of his buddies. Super calm water and the fish were spooky! Ended up getting him to take a size 18 bwo. Boy was that an incredible fish!

Last time I went I only hook two . It's was early winter 18 deg at night . 34 during the day . One was a 19 inch rainbow with a hooked bottom jaw .The other was a 21 inch cutthroat .I had to work hard for both . Grease lined a 15' leader with a small size 20 black midge .I saw large fish in the middle of a deep run sipping imergers . I casted above and across and let the fly swing slowly to them as I fed fly line, when I knew it was close i stoped feeding the line and let the fly climb to the surface . That was the only thing that worked for me . I wish I had some green scud patterns with me , they were everywhere in the shallows . I tried streamers, had a couple hits but no hook ups . I carried two rods ,a 5 wt and a 7 wt Bill gave me 13 years ago . The 7 wt had a sink tip , I used it for streamers . It was cold but beautiful ,antelope by the hundreds all around me . Bsld eagle just about everywhere .That area has the largest antelope migration in the US go through the area thousands of antelope will go through there .
    Last edited by RobK.; 02-25-2017 at 12:13 PM.

I have never floated it . Both times I fished a area about 300 yards long . I could see big fish . So I really don't know it well .this summer I plan on doing a couple week long trips there and a bunch of overnighters . Alone I will fish on foot .

My aunt and uncle have a house in Logan and another on Bear Lake just over the ID border. I am intending to get up there and fish the Logan River one weekend this summer. It looks like a solid fishery, fairly easily accessible and some beautiful scenery.

The Logan River is a great river . Best fishing is from Wood Camp to Ricks Spring imo . I use cricket and bettle patterns starting in May , then grasshopper pattern from July to October or first freeze . Don't mess with small dry flies . Plenty of fish will to take the big stuff . I will put a rubber leg hairs ear or pheasant tail flash back as a dropper if needed .If they keep taking the dry , then stop using the dropper .That is all I use from spring to fall . Unless a cicada hatch is on .
    Last edited by RobK.; 02-27-2017 at 08:21 PM.

With the snow pack this year .I bet the Logan with be blown out until middle to the end of July .If it is the Black Smiths fork is your best bet . It is fed by springs at lower elevations and clears out earlier .but a lot of it is private . All river in Utah are open year around . It doesn't affect the fish numbers at all .
    Last edited by RobK.; 02-27-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Also the Blasksmith fork gets a salmon fly hatch that can make the fishing amazing , but weather can mess that up and stop the hatch . Not uncommon to get snow storms in the middle of June .