Thread: Pyramid Report

Default Pyramid Report

Since almost every body of water that has trout in it is either frozen over or blown out by all of the precipitation we've had as of late, I decided to head to Pyramid, once I found out that it was finally (but only partially) open. The damage to the area is quite evident, but at least a few places were open and without destruction. There is a rather wide mud line in the water along the east facing shorelines and it seems like those of us that waded out deep enough and were able to cast into the clear water, we got into fish. The others...not so much.

Wednesday was the best, landing ten, this 33 inch, 16 pounder being the nicest (and my personal best). I topped my waders when horsing this fish in, so while posing for the picture, I was freezing my @$$ off (literally!) and I had to leave soon after to get into dry clothes and warm up. Still worth it, though!

Yesterday was a lot slower, I only landed four, and today I got the skunk. I headed back over the hill before more snow could fall and slow the traffic, or possibly even close 80 again. I caught almost all of the trout on a black popcorn beetle with a long black maribou tail. There are so few places open, it isn't too hard to narrow down where I was fishing.
    Last edited by Fly Guy Dave; 07-28-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Awesome post Dave! Thanks for sharing!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Beautiful fish, was it a Lahotan?
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Yep, all of the trout in Pyramid are Lahontan cutts. Which strain it is exactly (Heenan or Pilot Peak) I'm not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Guy Dave View Post
    Yep, all of the trout in Pyramid are Lahontan cutts. Which strain it is exactly (Heenan or Pilot Peak) I'm not certain.
    Beautiful fish, congratulations. If it was missing an adipose fin, it was a Pilot Peak strain.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvage View Post
    If it was missing an adipose fin, it was a Pilot Peak strain.
    I was indeed, so it was a Pilot Peak. Thanks for the info, good to know!

The fishing definitely changed with the weather this week. Thursday was pretty slow. This morning was hot for about 30min in the half light, I went 7 for 9 with no pigs in that small window. It got a bit lighter out and continued to snow really well...but the bite dissapeared. The calm flat lake really makes the bite tough. And the lake was a god damn zoo! Shit I hate the weekend.

Yay! A good old fashioned fishing report! Thanks!

Since there is so few beaches available for fishing are there lots of people crowding into them?

I know that there are several FF clubs that have scheduled trips to Pyramid over the next 6-8 weeks. Is it going to be shoulder-to-shoulder out there?
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by loose_shoes View Post
    Since there is so few beaches available for fishing are there lots of people crowding into them?

I know that there are several FF clubs that have scheduled trips to Pyramid over the next 6-8 weeks. Is it going to be shoulder-to-shoulder out there?
    The only stretch of the lake that is open is from the North Nets to Shot Dog, which is just south of Warrior Point. Not a lot of real estate, given the size of that lake. I usually try and fish Pyramid during the week anyhow, to avoid crowds, which can be bad even when the whole lake is open. Now that so little of it is open, I imagine the crowds will be even worse, especially on the weekends. However, I did see a lot of activity with trucks and earthmovers and the like, working hard to fix up the damage. All of the anglers at the lake are a big source of cash for the tribe and I'm sure they are pushing hard to get things done ASAP. Hopefully there will be more places opening soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    The fishing definitely changed with the weather this week. Thursday was pretty slow. This morning was hot for about 30min in the half light, I went 7 for 9 with no pigs in that small window. It got a bit lighter out and continued to snow really well...but the bite dissapeared. The calm flat lake really makes the bite tough. And the lake was a god damn zoo! Shit I hate the weekend.

+1. Yesterday was a real bust for me.