Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oroville Dam-- 2005 CA & water Districts testified spillway safe

Quote Originally Posted by RaffiB View Post
    Wow, this is such a refreshing thread, to hear such rational and logical comments, questions and concerns and that the points are not tied to partisan politics. I was tarting to lose hope that everything was politically divided

Let's hope for the best for all those in harms way and that something gets done to fix this and deliver some accountability
    Thumbs up for your post. This sort of lack of moderation is causing me to consider just logging out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    I would hope that whatever feud the current president may have with our governor
    JB
    see, I thought this was the other way around
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Quote Originally Posted by johnsquires View Post
    Exactly, Jason. The POTUS is the president (hopefully and lawfully) of ALL Americans. I suspect he will do the right thing.
    And you are correct that the area in question is a conservative-leaning area, which flies in the face of some of the very hateful and disgusting comments by folks on Twitter and news feeds.

To address Digger's comment, anyone who is laughing in any way about this situation is direly in need of counseling.
    to address JohnSquiers comment - you're taking it way TOOOO literally

and hopefully and lawfully? geez a Jill Stein supporter?
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    see, I thought this was the other way around
    I hope you read more than the first line of my response, as I had tried to make clear. Should it matter? Trump is upset at California and threatens to withhold federal dollars, Brown fires back in a tone of defiance, etc etc etc. Blame either one, or blame them both... honestly that's being beaten to death elsewhere and I don't see the need to drag this forum into that.

More importantly, and currently: we're talking about California citizens (Americans), and their safety here. My suggestion is that they do not deserve to be dragged into the middle of what is essentially a political pissing match (one of many more to come no doubt); there are times where we really should be dropping the political agendas for a moment to remember that the safety and well being of fellow citizens is far more important than ideological arm wrestling. There is a time and place for both; this is a case for the former imo.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Question Who Pays???

OK,.... A couple of days ago it was reported on the radio that the FERC has issued a letter to whatever authority is involved (BUREC or DWR??) demanding that both spillways be armored. Just a random report heard while on the road.

On KCRA this AM it was reported that POTUS has said that he will provide $$$ for dealing with the Oroville emergency (that usually means low interest, disaster loans). Apparently, that relief was asked for in a couple of letters from the governor to the feds on Friday & Monday asking for relief . Hopefully, that will happen shortly.

So, if we're accepting low interest loans from the feds, I'm still wondering why we have a "prudent rainy day fund" (Billions of $$$ at this point BTW). Why not tap that fund before asking the Feds or anyone else for money??? Why have a "rainy day" fund if it's never going to be used??? Doesn't that represent over collection of taxes???

Oh well,....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    to address JohnSquiers comment - you're taking it way TOOOO literally

and hopefully and lawfully? geez a Jill Stein supporter?
    I apologize for taking things too literally. I had two sons and their families evacuated, and after reading so many hateful and disgusting comments on social media sites, I am probably a bit too sensitive about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    So, if we're accepting low interest loans from the feds, I'm still wondering why we have a "prudent rainy day fund" (Billions of $$$ at this point BTW). Why not tap that fund before asking the Feds or anyone else for money??? Why have a "rainy day" fund if it's never going to be used??? Doesn't that represent over collection of taxes???
    Good point. I wonder what the rainy day fund is earmarked for?

Good question Sean. Idaho runs a surplus almost every year but rather then lowering taxes that money just seems to quietly melt away. I suspect a large portion is funneled into the health care system for those without insurance. Which is a round-about support of the agriculture industry in Idaho.

Well the fund seems to be growing:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/esse...htmlstory.html

Default Fund....

Well,.... The times article seems to say that the rainy day fund is to be used to pay down debt or to use during recessionary periods. Now I'm feeling a depression coming on....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown