Thread: Yellowstone

Just stop telling us this kind of thing is not going to happen when you're proposing it. We're not stupid, regardless of what you may think.

I also saw there was another big leak from a pipeline in Iowa: 138,000 gallons of diesel! http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...lons-of-diesel
    It's worth reading that this same company seems to have a bit of a history of problems! Not that we can quite do without (yet), but we really should be a lot more careful how we handle our toxic materials. Routing a pipeline under the Yellowstone river is one of those obvious recipes for disaster; kind of like laying an expensive new fly rod on the ground at a boat ramp and then being horrified when it gets run over. I don't quite qualify things like this as "accidents"; we know failures do happen and will happen the question are simply how much damage those failures will do and what methods we can minimize those damages.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    no one seems to think about all the toxic "stew" that going into the rivers off our roads every time it rains/snows.
    Probably because, for whatever reason, we don't seem to have massive flora and fauna kills from that.

Default Street/surface Run-off....

In addition to what is cited by johnsquires, seems like another instance of cost vs benefit or risk vs reward being the determining factor in whether storm run-off is captured and treated or not. If costs are high maybe a project to capture run-off is delayed or never undertaken.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown