Thread: Kayak?

Default Kayak?

Want to get a sit on top kayak for family and my flyfishing forays on lakes. Looking for advice and recommendations.

Budget is $400.
    I'm wild about native planters!

If your budget is $400 just go to Walmart, Sam's Club or Costco for new small ones.

Try some Kayak shops like Adventure Sports for used or rentals.

Try Craig's List for used.....

10' short

12' medium

14' long

I think used ones are the best deal if you want a better fishing model that is longer.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Not sure if you have a sportsman's warehouse in your area but they might have a few in that price range. Now that I don't have the pram anymore, I thought about a kayak, but not sure how stable they are. I'd rather fish than swim

In that range I'd look at the Lifetime Tamarack, available at Big 5. I bought one of those Walmart ones and found it horribly tippy and returned it and got the Tamarack. MUCH more stable. The rod holder is not good for a fly rod, but the socket fits one by PROPEL that holds a fly rod OK. The hatches are NOT water tight (you are looking at $800 for that), so just buy yourself some dry bags.

Bill summed it up perfectly. You are far better off with a used top brand than one of the discount store boats.

For $4-500 range on Craigslist, you should be able to find a used Wilderness Systems tandem with paddles and seats, etc.... or an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two with paddles, seats, etc.... both are set up to add fishing equipment. Other used SOT you should consider is a Perception Tribe Tandem.

As others suggest,pre-loved is the way to go.I can recommend the Malibu Mini X as it's very stable,has two lock down accessable hatches and only weighs 39lb.which makes it easy to self load onto the roof racks.Did I mention it's unsinkable and bulletproof?
    Cheers

PM sent over to you
    Exit 7