Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Conditions?

Default River Conditions?

First off I want to just say sorry to all cause I feel bad for asking so many questions of late to everyone cause i feel like i'm bugging you guys too much Anyways, what are conditions looking like for this Sunday as I haven't figured out normal/recommended flows for streams and such yet and I understand this has been quite a wet January already. Really looking for advice anywhere i could get a line out and maybe catch some fish and possibly try out my new waders i got over the holidays. Any ideas or information is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for everything. You guys on this forum are super helpful and awesome

Quote Originally Posted by JD2105 View Post
    First off I want to just say sorry to all cause I feel bad for asking so many questions of late to everyone cause i feel like i'm bugging you guys too much Anyways, what are conditions looking like for this Sunday as I haven't figured out normal/recommended flows for streams and such yet and I understand this has been quite a wet January already. Really looking for advice anywhere i could get a line out and maybe catch some fish and possibly try out my new waders i got over the holidays. Any ideas or information is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for everything. You guys on this forum are super helpful and awesome
    Almost all rivers are too high to fish effectively. Depending on the next couple of days, a possible exception is the Trinity or Truckee, but I wouldn't bet on it...

What constitutes a "good flow" varies by person. I like the American below 3500, more like 2500. I like the Yuba around 800-1200, others like it at 1500-2000.

Yeah seems like options are limited if they are even good at all. Guess i'll have to keep watching fishing videos until we get some sunshine. Thanks for your input

Ideal flows are very subjective, and there are many other factors that come into play: current speed and depth, water temperature, water clarity all generally follow a certain trend at various flows but it's not quite that exact or simple. Temperature (water temps) for instance is a much bigger issue this time of year than in a couple more months (typically). Water clarity can vary a lot at comparable flows, like right now water clarity may not be in the ideal range on many streams due to the flows, but it is likely clearer than the numbers might indicate due to the recent minor flooding we just had on many streams. Sometimes higher flows can work out to an anglers advantage to some degree as it can concentrate the fish to areas that are quite easy for us to access: the banks.

That said, I would still say that you're in for some very unproductive conditions right now. Faster flows, deeper water, colder water temps all combined make for some tough fishing. I would also reiterate that high flows can be much more hazardous for wading, particularly if you are newer and unfamiliar with some of the do's and don'ts. All that being the case, you sound pretty enthusiastic to get out and wet a line. Find some breaks from the main current, and fish some of the slower water; just don't go with high expectations. Look at it as some casting practice and some time to observe the river, and enjoy. Do be cautious though!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Ideal flows are very subjective, and there are many other factors that come into play: current speed and depth, water temperature, water clarity all generally follow a certain trend at various flows but it's not quite that exact or simple. Temperature (water temps) for instance is a much bigger issue this time of year than in a couple more months (typically). Water clarity can vary a lot at comparable flows, like right now water clarity may not be in the ideal range on many streams due to the flows, but it is likely clearer than the numbers might indicate due to the recent minor flooding we just had on many streams. Sometimes higher flows can work out to an anglers advantage to some degree as it can concentrate the fish to areas that are quite easy for us to access: the banks.

That said, I would still say that you're in for some very unproductive conditions right now. Faster flows, deeper water, colder water temps all combined make for some tough fishing. I would also reiterate that high flows can be much more hazardous for wading, particularly if you are newer and unfamiliar with some of the do's and don'ts. All that being the case, you sound pretty enthusiastic to get out and wet a line. Find some breaks from the main current, and fish some of the slower water; just don't go with high expectations. Look at it as some casting practice and some time to observe the river, and enjoy. Do be cautious though!
    JB
    Thanks for the advice Jason Maybe i'll use this weekend to go out and explore and look for some places that might produce fish and see what happens. Worst case im out of the house doing something

I'll just reiterate what I mentioned before as well: great time to learn to tie flies
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

JD2105---I would not consider coming up the mountain to fish the Truckee. It is currently snowing heavily at my 6500' elevation home in Truckee....chains currently required to get over the pass and would not be surprised if the summit gets closed today. We've received a lot of snow during the last two weeks. Absolutely wonderful for nature and our trout!

If you want some tips on fly fishing freestone streams during winter conditions and/or winter months; my current article starting on page 30 of the Jan/Feb issue of California Fly Fisher magazine may be useful; some of which you may have already received in this thread. The article is entitled Truckee River Primer... The sections "Bugs & Tactics" and "The Seasons" may be informative in jump-starting your existing ffing skills.

Frank R. Pisciotta

www.cyberfly.com

www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 01-20-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Et al---got another 9"-10" at 6500' in Tahoe Donner. Expect another 1/2' by tomorrow AM (Monday). Then, finally, 5-6 days of non-snow. As for the river conditions on the BT; I haven't been to town during the last three days...maybe another local can chip-in here...

Frank R. Pisciotta

www.cyberfly.com

www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 01-22-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R. Pisciotta View Post
    Et al---got another 9"-10" at 6500' in Tahoe Donner. Expect another 1/2' by tomorrow AM (Monday). Then, finally, 5-6 days of non-snow. As for the river conditions on the BT; I haven't been to town during the last three days...maybe another local can chip-in here...

Frank R. Pisciotta

www.cyberfly.com

www.californiaflyfishing.blogspot.com

I just got back from the West Shore (Homewood) and I couldn't even see over the snow banks too the upper River off 89. No parking either so I didn't bother looking. Entire area is just buried. Lower river is running 700CFS+ and according to a few guys I know its very fishable if you can find access. Makes sense too because its been cold and all this precip has been snow. Lower the better. What a January.

Frank I was wondering if you were out of Town... gave a presentation to TTFF about fishing opportunities at Webber, Independence and other Land Trust waters, just like we've talked about in the hardware store from time to time. (John from the Land Trust)