Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Atmospheric River

Default Another Atmospheric River

Another possible atmospheric river for northern California starting on the 18th. Still to far out for details. But all models are saying the same thing.

Hopefully this one is colder than the last! We need more snow!

Agree! Yes I've been getting updates from my brother on the weather briefings. Let's just hope it's a cold one so we can keep our snow!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Hopefully this one is colder than the last! We need more snow!
    Bryan Allegretto of http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe is forecasting a 7,000 ft. snow level as of now if the trough digs south and joins the AR from the Phillipines. If you do not know about "The Daily Snow" check it out, Bryan's pretty damn good with his forecasts and insight. All this weather brings back great memories of growing up in Paradise in the late 60's through the 80's, except for our drought years in 76 and 77. - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Jon, love that website. Bryan does a really good job.
    2 letters I've come to fear... AR. Lets hope snow levels don't creep up any higher if this thing transpires.

BTW, incredible totals for Jan especially on the east side like Mt Rose and Heavenly. They are approaching 20 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Jon, love that website. Bryan does a really good job.
    2 letters I've come to fear... AR. Lets hope snow levels don't creep up any higher if this thing transpires.

BTW, incredible totals for Jan especially on the east side like Mt Rose and Heavenly. They are approaching 20 feet.

Any report Heavenly...or and Vail resorts gives you is wrong. They must measure the biggest wind drift at the top of the mountain and add some. They are always the one to claim the most. Then you have resorts like Sierra at Tahoe who measures from the base of the mountain like a resort should. That way you are stoked when the amounts exceed or meet your expectations.

All in all these storm systems have been a lot of work! If we get rain in the next atmospheric river at lake level we are flat out fucked!

That next system just got plugged into the river forecasts this morning.

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/graphicalRVF.php?id=SEIC1

I'm coming down echo summit right now. Shit load of snow. Whether its 15 or 20 feet up top whatever but I will be shredding on it.
    All I know is this will be one of the best January's in decades. Our rivers are rushing and reservoirs are spilling over their limits. Sucks for us fisherman who don't have many options at the moment. But I guess this is how a normal winter should be and I know I've been spoiled by having lots of days on the water the past 4 years in the dead of winter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	echo.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	12605

Does anybody else wonder why nobody predicted all of this before winter?

Quote Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
    Does anybody else wonder why nobody predicted all of this before winter?
    Funny you should mention that because I was talking about the same thing to my father in law. Our conclusion.... Predicting weather is like predicting earthquakes. They really don't know what the F they are talking about. Anything more than 2-3 weeks out seems to be absolute speculation. I will say this. They got this storm right but it was when it was 10 days out.