Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Atmospheric River

Hey, everyone was hoping for a lot snow this year and we got both, rain and snow. Just be happy it's not like Alaska where it's -45 degrees. Looks like clear skies for a few days after this current storm blows over

Yep, sometimes it makes up for 5 years of drought in 4 weeks. Shame we don't have the much needed storage to keep the excess for those dry times to come.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Got back from west shore of Tahoe yesterday. Attachment 12630

Awesome! .

Quote Originally Posted by SeanO View Post
    Awesome! .
    That's what it was like back in the day, every winter! My youth days growing up into my late teens! The highway with walls of snow along the side

That looks like my street when I lived in Serene Lakes at Soda Springs. From my front door to the street was 110' and my snow blower would hardly ever get the snow up and over the 10' berm.

It was often that we had to shovel down to our front door to get in, and quite often walking over the roof was normal for clearing six feet of pack off the roof.

It was fun when the kids were little and growing up but it's not the place to live year round for us older folk.

Right now, palm trees, coconuts, and warm saltwater feels a whole lot better on these worn joints Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony, yeah agree. When you get over a certain age the struggle of living in those conditions day in and out during the winter gets old for most people.

And this winter just keeps delivering results that are mind boggling. Hard to believe if you haven't seen it up close. Records dropping daily. No more way back in 1983 talk. History is being made as we speak. 20+ feet in January. I'm curious if the resorts will even be able to capitalize on all of it considering how many days they've had to shut down or run limited schedules. There season is pretty short in the grand scheme of things.

I do a lot of high altitude hiking/fishing and I'm thinking August might be the earliest I get into some of those places.

This is the meadow between the old Ahwahnee and the village store inside Yosemite Valley taken around 3:30 today. Not bad for 4000'. Next summer will be a good year for skeeters in the high country. Any bets when they open Tioga Road? Time to break out the snow shoes over cross country skis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yosemite Valley 1:23.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	12634  

Beautiful shot gitt....picturesque!!!!

The winter that won't end.... Another system on top of us with heavy wet snow and rain. Up to 4 feet expected above 7k feet.
    Going to hit up Pleasanton this weekend. Look forward to seeing some of you guys and playing with the toys. Might be the nearest I get to a river for a little while because most water in the sierra (streams) is barely fishable. The truckee at 2k+ CFS is fishable for a small % of peeps. And I don't hang around up near town where flows are much more tame right now.
    I guess we got what we wished for. Going to be a nice summer of fishing deep into Fall. Long term these blow outs are just what we needed. Putah, Big T, LT, Walker systems, Carsons, etc.

Looks fishable to me.......green/clear, with room to move...Hardly the muddy torrent.....

If a guide says he can get people into fish, that means a large percentage. (There is a small percentage that do strike out.)
    As they say...."Guide not God"
    But I wouldn't post if it wasn't true...because it would come back to bite me.....inaccuracy does that...
    The reason a small percentage can't do it on their own, is they fish ineffectively, or they don't even try......or because some guys say it's no good.
    That has always been BS to me......and still is.
    I can show anybody how if need be. It's relative easy....you do need to be able to listen though...

A blurry fish as proof that a beginner can touch fin...a nice one too....well over 20"...from two days ago. ("It's a two-hander".)

But don't send out a bad review just because you can't/won't fish these flows.....please.
    Some of us are trying to encourage folks to come up and have fun....it's how we make our living...
    Have had a few clients come through and do well....
    Locals can and do fish it at all flows......1000cfs near town is nice....2000 can be done as well.
    Whether you fish here or not doesn't matter to those that do........unless you dis our water...
    I can see the water when I post....which makes a big difference...
    Give a shout if anyone feels the itch to fish.........they are in there!
    Thursday should be a fine day. Bring a coat....

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 02-20-2017 at 02:39 PM.