Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for someone relatively new to flyfishing

Default Advice for someone relatively new to flyfishing

I just started flyfishing last summer and have been able to catch some decent fish and am already hooked. I know a couple of places around here but i'm not sure how many waterways around here will be fishing this weekend (i live south of sac). I would love to get out and fish this weekend as I have Monday off as well. I also just got a pair of waders for the holidays and i'm itching to get out and throw a line in. Could anyone recommend any locations? I know the recent storms have blown out many of the rivers so I feel clueless and have no idea where i could go. Thanks guys.

Edit: Thanks for all the advice guys. After that rain we got last night i figured theres not much around for this weekend.
    Last edited by JD2105; 01-11-2017 at 11:53 AM.

I am watching YouTube videos of fishing.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Rancho Seco the lake is likely your only option.

Not to add to the negative, but in all honesty this weekend is probably not the best time for a newer fly fisher to get out. The weather looks promising though, and there could be some options in the smaller creeks and such. The flows on the bigger rivers look likely to be VERY high for a bit still, and even on the smaller creeks you could have some unfavorable flows to contend with (along with potential mudslides, downed trees, and the like). Getting high enough up into the drainages to get to more reasonable flows will likely put you into some pretty cold water temps as well, which is not the most productive of course.

I don't know how much you know about wading, and general stream safety, but I would suggest that unless you have some good experience with both I would wait just a bit longer. Another week things could look better, and generally speaking there will be many many more quality trout fishing days to be had soon. Do you tie flies yet? Could be a great time to tie some up, or learn to tie! For what it's worth, know that you're not alone with your itchy feet to get out and fish. Hopefully Mark Kranhold thought better of his urges to run naked through the streets with a steelhead fly in his jaws? I'm currently contemplating just how many trout might be swimming around on top of our front lawn, and wondering what the odds would be of tempting one to chomp on a streamer... the flows are only about 15 times normal and I think there might be an inch and a half of visibility, maybe even two... I think...
    Good luck, and be safe!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

The water is too high and too cold. Don't go fishing. Go visit a Fly fishing shop or 2 and ask about places to fish near you. Buy some flies and maybe a book or two about places to fish in California. You will be able to get out and fish in a couple weeks. Be safe.

Go to a casting pond and hone your casting skills. It'll get you outside with your flyrod without running the risk of drowning.
    I'm wild about native planters!

Do you have a cat? If so, go buy one of those inexpensive practice rods and fish for your furry little friend. It's not a trout but sure is fun to "watch the take"

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Do you have a cat? If so, go buy one of those inexpensive practice rods and fish for your furry little friend. It's not a trout but sure is fun to "watch the take"
    I agree with the guys up here. Its just not a good time and quite frankly pretty dangerous. I made it out to the EW which is a haul and for a few fish in 35 degree water most would call me stupid. More therapy for me. I would say in a week or so most of the streams will clear up but places like the LT are going to be hard to get too unless you snowshoe or have a snow mobile. I'm actually glad because that place needs a good rest.

ISE is coming up and its always fun to shoot the shit and look at all the new toys and gizmos.

If you dying maybe try a bass pond. I have kids and it can be a hoot.

I like the idea of the practice rod and yarn even if you don't have a cat. I've spent many fun hours fishing for my pets.
    I'm wild about native planters!

Look up where they plant trout in your area. Fish a planted lake. I've been harassing the trout ponds around my area. One should be planted tomorrow actually... Its not very technical, but it will do in a pinch.