Thread: Rio Outbound Short or Wulff Ambush?

Default Rio Outbound Short or Wulff Ambush?

Hello All and Happy New Year

I am trying to decide between the Rio Outbound Short and Wulff Ambush lines. There are a few variables. I am planning on using it for my soon to be new streamer dedicated single hand 6 or 7 weight rod(will be 9'6" or 10')...I throw a lot of big weighted streamer and tandem streamer rigs as well. I also walk and wade more than fish from a boat...for now.

Have read a lot about both. Concerned a bit in the inability to mend well with the Ambush in somewhat longer casting situations. Can't decide. Would love to hear about anyone who has used either of these lines in a similar application, size etc... I also am curious about use with heavier non-tapered sink tips? Anybody use them. I know that versileaders are better in this application. Though I bet I am not the only one that wants the extra sinking benefits of a light to medium mow tip on occasion. I hope some folks can share their experiences.

Any and all appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fish On

Ty

Ty,
    I've not used the Ambush personally (yet), but I have used the Outbound quite a bit. Awesome line for turning over bigger flies! I often use the full sink Outbound for streamers, but it obviously does depend a bit on the water you're fishing and your presentation. With the full sink line I just loop a short mono tippet on the end of the line and it really punches out there; if you start adding tips that of course can change the overall taper profile a bit.
    Cheers,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Ty,
    I have several of the Ambush lines and love them for conditions that they were designed. The blue running line is
    very thin compared to the head and ,thus, difficult to mend. Another line you might want to consider is Rio's
    "Single Handed Spey" line.
    http://www.rioproducts.com/products/...le-handed-spey

Best,
    Larry S

I fish both lines. I think the answer to your question depends on what type of rivers you are fishing. In my opinion, the ambush line is best on large rivers with big streamers but is nearly impossible to mend. I also had difficulty with this line when I would wade out into deep and fast water. I just could not get the line out as far because of the drag. I am not good with coiling line on my fingers. That being said, if I did not go out far, I could shoot this line a mile and fish places I could not otherwise fish. I also used various lengths of T-8 to T-14 and those worked well but not with my biggest leeches. I am now using an OPST commando head with different tips and I find this is way more versatile. I can fish it wading or from my boat with ease. I also use the Rio line for small streams where I don't need to cast very far. If you want, I will make you a deal on my 7wt Wulff Ambush line since I don't use it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHEYE View Post
    I will make you a deal on my 7wt Wulff Ambush line since I don't use it any more.
    Fisheye, I might be interested. PM sent.

Thank to all of you for your help and input.

Ty

The Wulff Ambush line is popular on single hand and two hand Spey casting.

Rio OBS is nice for single hand overhead casting with big flies at short to medium distances.

The Rio Steelhead line has a back taper for mending.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

the OPST commando is really worth looking at from what I have heard. i really want to get my hands on one to cast on my switch rod.

Thank you to everyone who commented. I split the difference and I am going to give both a go. Ambush in 7 weight and Rio Outbound in a 6. If I don't love one of them, will have to find an OPST commando and give that a go. If I do, will keep one of the two I am test driving. Love all the rain and snow...but can't wait to get out and huck some new lines to me...and some meat.

Let us know how it goes......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I went another direction--the new SA Sonar Titan lines. I LOVE that line. It casts much better and farther than the OBS in my hands. If I were to get another Outbound, I would not get the OBS. The longer head OB casts better IMO.