Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Start of 2017- Weather

Default Great Start of 2017- Weather

Sierra's are getting pounded to start the new year. Expect up too 4 feet of snow above 7500 feet by Thursday on the west slope and 18-24 inches on the ground in Truckee. Another wetter warmer storm arrives after expected to deliver another 2 feet this weekend. Snow levels started off around 1800 feet this morning and at resort level its in the teens and snowing. That rare Utah "powder." Roads are an absolute disaster right now. BE safe.

Last year at this time the Truckee was flowing at 140-150 CFS. Today its 400 CFS in the canyon. Our water situation continues to improve. Going to be a really good season just like last spring/summer. This snowpack is just what the doctor ordered.

So far the east side just has wind as of 2:30PM 1-2-17. Send some over this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    So far the east side just has wind as of 2:30PM 1-2-17. Send some over this way.
    Some of that area on 395 is getting shadowed right now. But good news is all of those mtns that feed walker river basin are getting pounded off Sonora pass. I'm sure you have noticed the difference in topaz lake though.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Some of that area on 395 is getting shadowed right now. But good news is all of those mtns that feed walker river basin are getting pounded off Sonora pass. I'm sure you have noticed the difference in topaz lake though.
    The West Walker has been running very well and Topaz is up a reported 12 feet from last year at this time. Right now blue sky overhead.

Sierra's are getting pounded to start the new year. Expect up too 4 feet of snow above 7500 feet by Thursday on the west slope and 18-24 inches on the ground in Truckee. Another wetter warmer storm arrives after expected to deliver another 2 feet this weekend. Snow levels started off around 1800 feet this morning and at resort level its in the teens and snowing. That rare Utah "powder." Roads are an absolute disaster right now. BE safe.

Last year at this time the Truckee was flowing at 140-150 CFS. Today its 400 CFS in the canyon. Our water situation continues to improve. Going to be a really good season just like last spring/summer. This snowpack is just what the doctor ordered.
    Sounds like you may want to apply for a job as a weather man.
    And as good as all this weather is your report from off the hill sounds quite optimistic. Don't believe all you hear.
    Us folks who actually live in the mountains don't believe the weather reports. They are wrong 95% of the time.
    This storm has been down graded numerous times throughout the last couple days.
    The North shore got hit good last night...the south shore not so much.
    Your 2ft this weekend is looking like rain according to the weatherman already. Global warming? What's that?

These days I believe the weather when I see it. Even then, it will lie to you and change in a heart beat.

It has been pounding in truckee. NWS has upgraded to another foot tonight before the big storm comes in tomorrow nite. Already took tomorrow AM off to ski some pow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    Sounds like you may want to apply for a job as a weather man.
    And as good as all this weather is your report from off the hill sounds quite optimistic. Don't believe all you hear.
    Us folks who actually live in the mountains don't believe the weather reports. They are wrong 95% of the time.
    This storm has been down graded numerous times throughout the last couple days.
    The North shore got hit good last night...the south shore not so much.
    Your 2ft this weekend is looking like rain according to the weatherman already. Global warming? What's that?

These days I believe the weather when I see it. Even then, it will lie to you and change in a heart beat.

Hey Debbie downer why such the long face? Not sure what rain shadow you live in but it's dumping in the Sierras. Just got back and west slope already has 18-20 inches today. Total mess There will be 4 feet by Thursday with another 5 plus inches of rain in the foothills. I fish these rivers and lakes basically year round (where I can) and I'm looking forward to great water.

Hey Debbie downer why such the long face? Not sure what rain shadow you live in but it's dumping in the Sierras. Just got back and west slope already has 18-20 inches today. Total mess There will be 4 feet by Thursday with another 5 plus inches of rain in the foothills. I fish these rivers and lakes basically year round (where I can) and I'm looking forward to great water.
    I live in South Lake Tahoe. I do live and fish here year round.
    We have gotten about a foot. No where near pounded like they stated so far.
    And you talk rain shadow...we have had more rain in December up here in Tahoe than I have seen in over a decade. But don't get me wrong, I love your fishing reports,

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    I live in South Lake Tahoe. I do live and fish here year round.
    We have gotten about a foot. No where near pounded like they stated so far.
    And you talk rain shadow...we have had more rain in December up here in Tahoe than I have seen in over a decade. But don't get me wrong, I love your fishing reports,

Hopefully you are digging out today! Or trying to stay on top of it. I read 20 inches of snow in Truckee town and still coming. Boreal up on Donner summit is over 30 inches. I think the weather people may have gotten this one correct. Some of the models are showing 5-7 Feet out of this system. Hello average snowpack!

Yeah I fish year round as well. I haven't been east of Reno on the truckee since 2013 due to the drought but that might be my only truckee option for awhile.

Keep it coming!

Here is a link to the current snow sensors.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PAGE6