Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curing Coon Shrimp

Default Curing Coon Shrimp

I want to cure a batch of shrimp for steelhead. (called coon shrimp) It's difficult to find whole small shrimp in the SF bay area to use. I've been thinking of using grass shrimp. They are easy enough to get with a small gage trap and a little bait. Has anyone tried curing them for steelhead? If so what was the result in terms of toughness and effectiveness on steelhead?
    Thanks,
    East Bay Ed

Have a friend that just buys the little bay shrimp at the grocery store and uses those for bait and does well.

My son uses those little cooked shrimp, like you use for shrimp cocktail, that he buys at the grocery store. They catch Steelhead on the Salmon river by using a shrimp on a jig head and fishing it under a float. Seems his only complaint is they come off easy. On the plus side, if you get hungry you can eat your bait. I used Grass Shrimp for years for sturgeon but they seemed very fragile and died quick. Used to use a milk crate with screen inside and just lower it down by the pier. Bait was usually the cheapest can of cat food we could buy at the commissary.

You can use any standard egg cure, or do it yourself with a borax mix, they cure quick so just go about half the time you'd use for eggs.

Just tie the shrimp, raw or cooked, in spawn sac like with roe. Lasts a long time.

In Florida salt water fishing they use tons of live shrimp.

If you don't use them all you can cook them up after you get home.

Fly fishers use them for chum while they are staked out up tide in a skiff from a light colored shallow flat for Bonefish.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Just tie the shrimp, raw or cooked, in spawn sac like with roe. Lasts a long time.
    Yup, exactly!

Strain the shrimp in a strainer to remove excess moisture.
    Pad shrimp with paper towels
    Place 2 cups coarse grain sea/kosher/non-iodized salt in a plastic container
    Add shrimp to it
    Shake it up and store in reefer 24-48 hours
    Remove shrimp from container and dust off excess salt
    Place 1 cup Borax in a 1 gallon Ziplock bag
    Place amount of shrimp you intend to use that day in the Borox/Ziplock bag
    Salt toughens the shrimp so it stays on the hook better *but don't leave it in salt for over 3-5 days or it will get TOO hard
    Borax cures it and prevents it from rotting
    You can add (red, pink, orange, purple) powder cures like Pro-Cure or simple, Jell-O Brand Gelatin to the Borax for color
    Ghost and sand work well up north and on coast
    Bay, grass, cocktail for the valley fish.
    Big, colored-up shrimp works well on the AR early in season and smaller, natural color tends to work better for the spring fish.
    Put ANY shrimp in front of a steelhead anywhere at the right time of year and it WILL get smashed~
    NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD be posting steelhead/bait-fishing advice on any board...
    ESPECIALLY THIS ONE...
    HA-HA-HAPPY NEW YEAR
    <I:>~ <*)))))><
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 01-01-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    Strain the shrimp in a strainer to remove excess moisture.
    Pad shrimp with paper towels
    Place 2 cups coarse grain sea/kosher/non-iodized salt in a plastic container
    Add shrimp to it
    Shake it up and store in reefer 24-48 hours
    Remove shrimp from container and dust off excess salt
    Place 1 cup Borax in a 1 gallon Ziplock bag
    Place amount of shrimp you intend to use that day in the Borox/Ziplock bag
    Salt toughens the shrimp so it stays on the hook better *but don't leave it in salt for over 3-5 days or it will get TOO hard
    Borax cures it and prevents it from rotting
    You can add (red, pink, orange, purple) powder cures like Pro-Cure or simple, Jell-O Brand Gelatin to the Borax for color
    Ghost and sand work well up north and on coast
    Bay, grass, cocktail for the valley fish.
    Big, colored-up shrimp works well on the AR early in season and smaller, natural color tends to work better for the spring fish.
    Put ANY shrimp in front of a steelhead anywhere at the right time of year and it WILL get smashed~
    NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD be posting steelhead/bait-fishing advice on any board...
    ESPECIALLY THIS ONE...
    HA-HA-HAPPY NEW YEAR
    <I:>~ <*)))))><
    Can I come over for a shrimp cocktail Mark?

Thank you to all for your comments. I've only cured eggs once using a borex, etc. recipe from several years ago. Most of the recipes for shrimp on you tube call for the smallest size count (for some reason called coon shrimp), which I'm not successfully finding around here. The larger sizes wind up in my pan and get eaten by the family. I do like the idea of cutting medium shrimp into smaller segments or using the very small bay shrimp. I was primarily interested in finding out if grass shrimp would work. They are small and seem to fit the bill, and are generally easy to get. Watching you tube is a lot of fun with tons of info. Steelies, I've used flies for most of my life, but have had a couple of accidents recently while wading. At 70 it gets harder to aggressively wade, so I'm looking for easier ways to fish.
    Once again thanks and good fishing to all in 2017!