Thread: Moke river below Camanche

Default Moke river below Camanche

Went to the hatchery on McIntyre and I did see high flow and a lot of steelhead in the raceways that came early. I would say close to 100 plus in raceway 1A. Some had yellow tags in them. Some others not , and I did see 3 others in the raceways with the Salmon in the Egg taking section . Size would from 18-24. I did see one in the 24+ inch range at least 5-6 Lbs. Nice active healthy colorful fish. Can`t wait till Jan 1st. Some big salmon as well still coming up too. and in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    Went to the hatchery on McIntyre and I did see high flow and a lot of steelhead in the raceways that came early. I would say close to 100 plus in raceway 1A. Some had yellow tags in them. Some others not , and I did see 3 others in the raceways with the Salmon in the Egg taking section . Size would from 18-24. I did see one in the 24+ inch range at least 5-6 Lbs. Nice active healthy colorful fish. Can`t wait till Jan 1st. Some big salmon as well still coming up too. and in good shape.

Stefanoflo- Thanks for the update. Do you know what the flows are currently? I always seem to have a hard time finding the right gauge to use for below Comanche. Nice to hear that news. They have some good resident rainbows in that watershed as well. Just hard to fish without floating it huH?

CDEC (California Data Exchange Center) shows current outflow of Camanche (CMN) at 1464 cfs, been at or near these flows since 12/22.

Quote Originally Posted by GLC View Post
    CDEC (California Data Exchange Center) shows current outflow of Camanche (CMN) at 1464 cfs, been at or near these flows since 12/22.
    Wow... Last year was like 400 when I fished it. Is it even wadable at 1400? I can't imagine.
    I mean great for the fish but not so much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Wow... Last year was like 400 when I fished it. Is it even wadable at 1400? I can't imagine.
    I mean great for the fish but not so much for me.
    when I was there it was flowing at 1400CFS and I was looking over the water in the parking lot one. the first one you come to and It's very deep at the Shoreline where the Kayaks get put in. Wading Might be an issue . I would Think further upstream around the salmon run section or even further upward . With flows that high, bring your wading stafff and pray.

Stefano- Let us know how it goes. Curious if it is fishable at those flows.... (safely)

I fished the moke on Sunday and Monday. Sunday was packed with fly fishermen and bait fishermen. The only fish I saw was taken by a nightcrawler off of the handicapped pier. I had a few hookups but did not land anything. The river is high and fast, but there are plenty of places to wade. The salmon run stretch is probably the easiest. There are plenty of zombie salmon swimming in the area. You can find places up river as well, but most require walking through the flooded timber. I was casting an OPST commando head and saw plenty of people indicator fishing.

Thanks for the update. Not a ton of options right now with this storm and current state of flows.
    I'm happy because it will make for a good summer. Good luck and maybe I will see you guys out there over next couple weeks.

went today again when i saw that the flows are at 3000 and now upwards of 4500 or so
    From what I saw ,all the walking trails are flooded the handicap Pier is now a bit below water with the Pichnic Benches table barly above water . what Is land that where there are Under water , so the Flows are making the river look different and more Challenging as well . the High Current Makes for a Very loud sound, that actually is good to hear. Also went to the hatchery where they were doing tags / and DNA sampling ,on the steel head that came up early . Looks like at least 100 or so fish came early and some look that they hey can be from 3-4 LBS , I did see a few dead ones that where separated on the side and of the dead one looked 10LBS and thick and it was Not a salmon. The salmon are Gone , I did see a Beautiful Steel head in the ladder working his way Upward . say about 20 Inches or so with a Beautiful color of red down the Middle. Plan on Going Friday and try My Luck , Hopefully I won`t get caught in a Flow Increase,
    Last edited by stefanoflo; 01-05-2017 at 10:46 PM.