Thread: Fly Fishing the Gualala

Default Fly Fishing the Gualala

I am heading up to Sea Ranch from X-Mas through the New Year, and would like to do some Fly Fishing. Having never been there, it would be great if I could get some information on the Gualala or other nearby streams/rivers, and fly selection.

There was just another previous post about the Gualala a couple of weeks ago with lots of good information about the area and other streams close by.

I used to fish it often when I lived in Napa, but It's a bit far now. Give King's in Guerneville a call, or stop in on your way by for some currant information about what and where to go and use.

Watch the weather, and good luck, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Buy a StreamTime map for the Gualala River/Garcia River and one for the Russian River

Call King's Sport & Tackle on the Russian River

http://kingsrussianriver.wixsite.com/kingsrussianriver

16258 Main Street
    Guerneville, Ca 95446
    Tel: 707-869-2156

Russian, Gualala and Garcia Rivers are all possibilities depending on the water conditions and low flow closures.

The Gualala and Garcia are small short coastal rivers that are usually fished in the lakey tide water sections so single hand fly rods are the norm.

These river are usually too high or too low for good fly fishing. Timing is a big part of it.

The Russian River is a long river and get muddy after a rain so it needs a couple of weeks to clear.

If you can go with a guide it would be helpful.

I know a dozen or so regulars who fish all this and some are on our BB.

It would be wonderful to just hook one wild fresh Steelhead over there.....

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Gualala River....

Here's a link to the earlier thread that Tony referred to:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...=Gualala+River
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks for the info Tony.

Wink Love the Gualala

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme21 View Post
    I am heading up to Sea Ranch from X-Mas through the New Year, and would like to do some Fly Fishing. Having never been there, it would be great if I could get some information on the Gualala or other nearby streams/rivers, and fly selection.
    20 years or so the wife and I fished the areas a couple miles upstream from the town of Gualala where you could pull a car over off the road. We knew nothing about fly fishing and it was our first attempt. We chucked dry flies to the opposite side of the stream from the road and caught fish after fish all day long. One of the best fishing experiences we've ever had.

We were also surprised by how quickly the water level can change. We had placed a pack down on what seemed like a high gravel bar and an hour later it was nearly under water...

Ive been fishing the gualala while waiting for the russian to drop. Went out the other day before the rain, flows were around 400. Got a lot of smolt and a few small half pounders on glo bugs under an indicator. Most folks ive talked to havent gotten into adult fish yet. I did hook into something big a few weeks ago while swinging, maybe a salmon. Im sure you already know this, but make sure you have a steelhead card and that the flows are high enough for the river to be open to angling.

I think this is a link to the regs?

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...=117095&inline

low flow closure hotline for sonoma (707) 944-5533

The number for low flow stream closure information is (707) 822-3164 for Mendocino County and (707) 944-5533 for Sonoma, Marin and Napa counties.

Merry Christmas to all,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme21 View Post
    So, Extreme21 did you get out and fish on the Gualala, and if so, how was it?