Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinting two part epoxy

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Default Tinting two part epoxy

What do you use to tint / color two part epoxy?

Golfsmith used to sell a tint for club building 2 part epoxy. Only came in Black but was very potent stuff.
    Last edited by Idadon; 12-19-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Default Tinting....

Back when I was attempting to tint epoxy, I became frustrated with the selection of effective dyes and switched to Hobbypoxxy (spelling??). It came prepared in silver. Never saw it in any other color. Not sure it's even available, now but I'd bet that a hobby shop selling model airplanes and adhesives/paints would have something that could be used.

I have some gold/pearl/silver fine powder that's intended for use in adding to UV activated adhesive but haven't used it yet, as it looks to me like if added to the mix, it would interfere with the penetration of UV light in the curing process.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I use powder pigments & embossing powders a lot to color epoxy. You can get them at most craft stores & tackle retailers that carry equipment to pour soft plastic baits.

+1 to this- you can use a lot of items for this- including testor model paint- let it sit and pour off the solvent and you have a very concentrated pigment to use as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. Do the powdered pigments actually dissolve into and change the color of the epoxy or are you just dispersing tiny bits of color throughout the epoxy so it appears colored? I have an old set of Testor paints so I could do what Tony and MrT suggest. I sometimes make eyes for shrimp and crab flies and have tried ink from pens, paint, etc and they typically don't mix into the epoxy very well. I've taken to coloring the melted monofilament ball on the end of the stalk before dipping the ball into epoxy.

The pigments blend in to the epoxy really well- it doesnt dissolve per se, but it works perfectly.

DL,

If I understand your question correctly, Your wanting to change the color of standard 2 part Epoxy ?

Its just to simple. First off always make sure your Epoxy is nice and warm, make sure you use even parts of A and B. I then use a tooth pick and dip my tooth pick into the bottle of paint with the color I want the Epoxy to be. then mix well and decide if you need more color or not. If you use to much color the result will be way too lumpy. Example I use two spots about the size of a dime, then add less then a drop of paint off the end of a tooth pick and it comes out just about perfect. After 3-4 times you will be an expert. I use the standard water colors you buy at the arts and crafts store like Michael's for about a buck a bottle. My 2 cents

I hope some of this helps, if you have any problems just message me.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 12-20-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DLJeff View Post
    What do you use to tint / color two part epoxy?
    DL,

If I understand your question correctly, Your wanting to change the color of standard 2 part Epoxy ?

Its just to simple. First off always make sure your Epoxy is nice and warm, make sure you use even parts of A and B. I then use a tooth pick and dip my tooth pick into the bottle of paint with the color I want the Epoxy to be. then mix well and decide if you need more color or not. If you use to much color the result will be way too lumpy. Example I use two spots about the size of a dime, then add less then a drop off the end of a tooth pick and it comes out just about perfect. After 3-4 times you will be an expert. I use the standard water colors you buy at the arts and crafts store like Michael's for about a buck a bottle. My 2 cents

I hope some of this helps, if you have any problems just message me.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 12-20-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks Carl. Is that water color paint - comes in little tubes like toothpaste?