Thread: Recommendations for Beginner Fly-Tying Kit

Default Recommendations for Beginner Fly-Tying Kit

My wife asked for ideas for Christmas presents. I've been wanting to try fly-thing. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced beginner's kit?

Thanks

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

ITW -
    In my experience, most fly tying kits don't provide the appropriate material for tying a decent fly and the vice and tools included in most of them are pretty poor quality. I don't want to turn you off on your idea though so how about this alternative...

If you have a fly fishing club or a fly shop in your vicinity, check to see if they offer fly tying classes. The advantage of taking a class this way is they usually provide you with the vice and tools, they provide materials for whatever fly you will be tying and explain what makes good material and what makes bad material, you get some helpful instruction which speeds up your learning curve which in turn increases your level of satisfaction, and last, you get to try it out without making a large investment. Some of these classes charge a small tuition and your wife could arrange for that as her gift. Once you've tied a few flies, talked to experienced tiers, and decide you really want to get into it, you'll know what vice and tools you prefer, and you'll know what material you need and how to select the proper stuff. Hope this is helpful advice.

Oh yeah, it also makes a difference what kind of flies you want to tie, e.g. trout flies, bass flies, salt water flies, etc.

Kits are not usually a good thing but are better than not getting anything.

I would first go into a local fly shop and tell them your budget.

Then get some tools first off.

You could get a fly tying class for a gift?

Lots of good videos on fly tying.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for the suggestions! I will mention the class.

I agree with the suggestions of classes and info through the local shops.

But for those without access to either of those, Hareline has packaged kits at several levels for those interested in starting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-eLXXYHPBo

Local fly shops are great. Also check out your local fly clubs - many offer tying classes and suggestions.

If you want something for underneath the tree and good solid tool kit is perfect. A good vise, bobbins, scissors and a whip finisher. It's like everything else you buy good stuff it will last a long time.

I still have my first vise and I still tie on it every now and again. A Thompson A Vise!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Ask for a good vice and buy the materials you need separately. Michael's Craft store is your friend.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>