Thread: Advocates needed for increased San Joaquin basin water flows

Default Advocates needed for increased San Joaquin basin water flows

Anglers are needed to voice support for increased flows in the SJ basin. Date and place: January 3, 2017 – 9:00 a.m. Sacramento, CA 95814

I am planning to attend, but the more the merrier and even if you can't make it, perhaps you could give some type of written testimony? This could be REALLY BIG for fish in the SJ. The salmon and steelhead runs there are really horrible compared to pre dam times.

Feel free to get in touch with myself or Trout Unlimited representative Chandra Ferrari, the Water Policy Advisor and Staff Attorney for California and Oregon... 916-214-9731 / cferrari@tu.org / www.tu.org .

I am contacting you to see if you might be interested in providing comment in support of more flows for the San Joaquin River and its tributaries (the Merced, Tuolumne and Stanislaus Rivers). I’m not sure how much you know about the State Water Resources Control Board’s efforts to update water quality standards but they just released a revised environmental document and draft updated standards that call for increased flows in the lower San Joaquin River and its tributaries. Unfortunately, we think that additional flows (beyond those recommended in the revised standards) are necessary and scientifically justified to recover fish populations and promote recreational opportunities but it is movement in the right direction. A group of organizations (including Trout Unlimited) plan to present scientific testimony toward this point at a series of hearings being held on the matter. However, we also think it would be valuable to have a panel of recreation interests speak to how flows affect their interest. This panel is currently scheduled for January 3 in Sacramento. Each panelist has a maximum of five minutes to provide comments. We can help provide talking points and other information if you are interested in being a panelist. Additionally, you could provide public comment if you do not want to be a panelist. Public commenters usually provide comment at the beginning of the hearing and have a maximum of 3 minutes to speak. If either of these options are of interest to you, please let me know.

Default Hearing Location

SeanO,... Do you know what the location in Sacramento for this hearing is???
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/waterr..._phase%201.pdf

January 3, 2017 – 9 a.m.
    Joe Serna Jr. – CalEPA Headquarters Building
    Coastal Hearing Room
    1001 I Street, Second Floor
    Sacramento, CA 95814

January 3, 2017 – 9 a.m.
    Coastal Hearing Room
    Sacramento, CA 95814[/QUOTE]

Also, depending on where you live, there are other meetings on the subject:

November 29, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
    Byron Sher Auditorium
    Sacramento, CA 95814

December 16, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
    Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium
    Main Hall
    525 N Center Street
    Stockton, CA 95202

December 19, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
    Multicultural Arts Center
    645 W. Main Street
    Merced, CA 95340

December 20, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
    Modesto Centre Plaza
    Tuolumne River Room
    1000 K Street
    Modesto, CA 95354

January 3, 2017 – 9:00 a.m.
    Coastal Hearing Room
    Sacramento, CA 95814

The irrigation districts now leave around 23% of the unimpaired flows in the Tuolumne and Merced. Know that if they get away with continuing to violate the endangered species act, it will be a precedent that hurts the American and every other river in the state.
    Last edited by Sierra D; 11-27-2016 at 08:32 PM.

PLEASE get to this meeting!!! Try to get there 30-60 minutes early and sign up to speak for the rivers.

Coastal Hearing Room
    Sacramento, CA 95814

The irrigation districts and SFPUC now leave around 23% of the unimpaired flows in the Tuolumne and Merced. Know that if they get away with continuing to violate the endangered species act, it will be a precedent that hurts the American and every other river in the state.

Coastal Hearing Room
    Sacramento, CA 95814

The irrigation districts now leave around 23% of the unimpaired flows in the Tuolumne and Merced. Know that if they get away with continuing to violate the endangered species act, it will be a precedent that hurts the American and every other river in the state.

Packed with people on both (all?) sides of the issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9085.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	12571