Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we fish the Lower American River......

Default Why we fish the Lower American River......

I fished this river sense I was a teenage, way over 50 years.

Many of us have a bond that goes way back with the river, the fish, the animals and old fishing friends.

I could make a list a mile long of those who fished the river and have a connection to it.

We are so lucky to have such a nice river right in our town.

Mark Kranhold sent me this lovely sunset photo tonight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LAR.jpg 
Views:	957 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	12485
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Awesome picture from Mark! Many folks sure do love that River! If only more people respected it for how precious it is, maybe we could keep it just a little cleaner!

Bill, it sounds like you have great memories. And I'm sure back in the day it was legendary. For me (and I'm local) I just have a passion for going east and hitting the western and eastern sierra's. I just like the solitude and landscape so much better. No doubt the American has its runs and quality fish but my limited experiences haven't been great. Car break ins, rude people, unethical practices, etc. Maybe its a small sample size and I need to broaden my horizon. I plan on doing some steelhead fishing this winter which I have passed on the last few due to water issues.

I would have loved to have steelhead and salmon within bike riding distance when I was a kid (or now actually)! I have trout now, and when I was a kid it was breams and catfish. Something special about steelies and salmon. I owe the A in a roundabout way for being brought into fly fishing, even though I grew up 3000 miles away. My Dad fished it in the 60s and early 70s, and got into fly fishing because of steelies and half pounders. And he's who taught me.

I grew up on the Feather and it's special to me like the American is to Bill.

Be ready to stand up. The irrigation districts and the politicians who support them are always looking for more water. South of you, the Stanislaus, Tuolume, and Merced are in extremely bad shape, with around 25% of their original water left for salmon and steelhead. South of that, the main San Joaquin, the Kaweah, the Kings, the Kern, the White, the Fresno: all of these go dry in the valley floor. They aren't all salmon and steelhead rivers, but the issue is the same.

We have a chance to put water back in the Tuolumne and Merced now. See my thread about the Bay Delta revision in conservation. Look near the end.

Also, treasure whatever river you live on, learn in the issues there, and be ready to write letters and attend meetings.

Very nice shot....and that sure is a purty looking reel/rod set up!

Eric

Great picture Mark!

Awe yeah! .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Mark Kranhold sent me this lovely sunset photo tonight.

Sierra D,

You know that the Lower Feather River is a better fishery than the Lower American River.

You were very fortunate.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Glad you enjoyed that sunset shot Bill and everyone! Growing up along the American River has been a joy, from rope skim board days to jumping my bicycle along the parkway BMX spots having rangers chase all of us kids out trying to ticket us. BMX was huge back in the day when I was growing up and in the parkway we had a lot of tracks and jumps along it. There could be up to 50 kids at one time on one of the tracks. Rangers would come in on horseback and chase us all down, we called that Ranger raid! There was actually quite a bit of magazine [BMX Action]photo shoot's down there at that time...memories! Fishing the American was a tough one to figuring out, putting much time in and under the water would eventually pay off! What I love about the A is there is anadromous fish year round, fighting half pounders and watching 30+ pound Stripers chase your fish into the shallows behind you. The herons, ducks, otters and the screech of the birds of prey flying above you while knee-deep is a great way to get some therapy from day to day life. Things have changed a lot. With all the people in the world today and with all the immigrants people are really taking the river for granted ,leaving their trash ,diapers , lunch containers behind... it's very sad! I don't know how many yards of monofilament I pick up along the river while walking my dogs, It amazes me people just don't coil it up and put it in their pockets rather they just throw it down on the ground . I just witnessed a Russian fellow dropping a deuce right in the open along the river the other day while he was fishing for salmon, come on people at least go up away from the water into the bush. We need to preserve this little gem we have in our city!!