Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float Tube - What PFD are you using?

Default Float Tube - What PFD are you using?

I'm new to the tube and wondering what people are using (or not). I thought maybe an inflatable would be the lowest profile? Thanks for any input.

I have a Mustang, inflates when submerged. It has a clip in from and fits well. I like it.
    Bob

Second the Mustang with the auto inflate feature. In fact I wear it whenever I'm on the water. Us old guys have to be careful?

Only way to go is the inflatable. You forget you are wearing it, and will wear it more often (always in my case). Mine are from West Marine, auto inflate.

Thank you for the responses. Inflatable it is.

Rite Aid life vest, I put it under my rump on the seat and adds some extra weight capacity to my tube . If I need it, I just lean over and pull it out (I have tested the procedure out, in preparation for an emergency). Correct me if I'm wrong but you are required to have on the vessel but not have it on at all times unless you are a child?

Check out the cabelas tournament 3500. Sometimes they have them on sale for $99. I also cut up a few old life preservers and cut the foam in pieces and taped them together and put them in my float tube pockets. They make good armrests.
    Last edited by Kaiyasdad; 11-04-2016 at 10:30 AM.

I don't believe a tube is considered a vessel and therefore no actual PFD requirement exists. I just thought it'd be a good idea with all the gear and especially during cold months. When a PFD is required, an inflatable only counts while it's worn.

*Update* Thanks again for the input. Cabelas had the 3500 on sale so I went with it. Auto inflate for a little over $100 seems a good deal.
    Last edited by whatnext; 11-04-2016 at 12:23 PM.

I wear a West Marine Automatic Inflatable for bay fishing and offshore fishing. After awhile you don't even know you have it on.

Auto inflate is the worth the extra investment by my opinion, your not always able to pull the cord to inflate it !!

Two things to watch out for in an auto-inflate model. If you set it down while doing something (like set it on the seat while you go into the woods to relieve your self) and it falls in the water then poof it goes off. (Happened to me) like wise if you are out in heavy rain I assume it could happen also. After that happened to me I switched to a Kayak or paddling type vest.

Like this one

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-Paddli...ct/1508311300/