Thread: Anchoring a pontoon

Default Anchoring a pontoon

I've got an Outcast Fishcat IR (8-foot) pontoon. I'm considering buying an anchor system for it.

I usually just use the boat to get from gravel bar to gravel bar and get out of the boat to fish. But over here on the Russian River, there's quite a few places where I'd like to fish from the boat in deeper slow water sections.

I have no idea what to get in regards to anchor type, weight, etc. I need something that will hold on gravel, cobble, and sandy bottoms. As noted, I'll only use the anchor in very slow current areas or backwater. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

~Jeff

I have a Waterstrider kickboat: http://waterstrider.com/
    and I use this vinyl bag that West Marine sells: http://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=anchor+vinyl+bag
    I tie it off to a couple D rings at the stern end of the boat. Just fill the bag up with rocks from the shore.

You wrote twice about only using it in slow current; great advice to keep in mind!

Tim

Jeff -
    I have been told that there was a post on this forum a while back in regards to the potential perils of trying to anchor a pontoon boat in a river. But as you mentioned, you will be anchoring in slow-moving water. The idea is intriguing and I have thought about trying it, as well, but so far have been advised against it. Scotty makes an anchor lock for your boat, and you might want to contact Scotty and Outcast to see what recommendations they have for you. At any rate, I would be interested to know what you come up with.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

I use and old big rig snow tire chain cut into short segments. I found the chain while fishing along highway 80 near Truckee River. Use the following link. Cut the number of segments you need to hold in the water you fish.

http://www.allaroundangler.com/blog/...h-anchor-1.jpg

I use a fairly light mushroom anchor, and if that doesn't hold then I move to a place where it will. My big deal is I run the anchor line through the rear D-ring, and have the Scotty cleat on the pontoon by my right arm, with no knot in the line so I can release in an instant if need be. Never have had a close call.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    I've got an Outcast Fishcat IR (8-foot) pontoon. I'm considering buying an anchor system for it.

I usually just use the boat to get from gravel bar to gravel bar and get out of the boat to fish. But over here on the Russian River, there's quite a few places where I'd like to fish from the boat in deeper slow water sections.

I have no idea what to get in regards to anchor type, weight, etc. I need something that will hold on gravel, cobble, and sandy bottoms. As noted, I'll only use the anchor in very slow current areas or backwater. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

~Jeff

I rarely anchor, but have done so in pools like you have described.

1) Outcast recommends and sells the Scotty Anchor Mount-- I'd install it exactly where & how they recommend.

2) 8- 10lbs should be enough to hold your 8IR in still water. You can use mesh bag, netting or the Outcast vinyl bag with rocks to eliminate carrying a 10lb anchor-- pus you can experiment to find your ideal weight. I have even seen people use a plastic gallon milk jug filled with around 7-8lbs of river sand or small rocks.

3) practice in still water-- most men can pull a stuck anchor rope hard enough to put the upriver ends/side of the pontoon underwater.... so practice anchoring and raising your anchor before you ever try it for real. Read online about using a separate rope cleat under or alongside your seat so you do not have to lean back to pull your anchor rope.

4) Have a plan for when the anchor gets stuck. To cut the anchor rope quickly I keep a serrated knife duct taped onto my anchor mount ($8 red serrated knife in a plastic holster from Bed Bath & beyond). You should have enough rope so you can row to shore and walk upriver to pull the stuck anchor. (best plan is to not anchor is fast moving water)

5) Pontoon Swinging- even the slightest current will move your pontoon if you use 1 anchor. (same applies to wind in a lake)-- I drop one oar to use as a rudder to swing the boat in the direction that will aid fishing. Consider using 2 anchors. There are probably posts to various forums on using 2 anchors on an inflatable.

6) Instead of anchoring, have you considered fins to hold your position in dead water? Watermaster makes folding fins specifically for use in an inflatable. I do not use fins in moving water.

Russian should be a good river for this type of anchoring. Good Luck.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post

Thanks.

~Jeff
    Scotty makes an anchoring system that will attach to your boat. It is essentially a cam lock device that allows you to lower or raise the anchor and lock in. For an anchor I use several short looped sections of chain attached to a carabiner. I never anchor in anything faster than slow current (not safe) and this anchor will hold fine with few or no hang ups on the bottom. Additionally you can easily add or subtract weight to this anchoring system by adding or removing lengths of chain.

good luck

Thanks for all the input, guys. I really appreciate it, and it helps a lot!

~Jeff